• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Being strong and skilled is a magic of its own or, how I learned to stop worrying and love anime fightin' magic

Wizards can straight up fly at 5th level and teleport anywhere on the same plane of existence at 11th.
and that's it... effects are already set to levels... no reason a martial can't have them
Now tht we might hve leveled feats, I hope for post level 10 feats that "reveal you were a demigod the whole time" or "have been exposed to so much magic, you are a mutant".

Though I am still in favor of an outright Demigod class where you get outright superpowers that levelup. Myth and Legend are filled with chosen ones, demigods,and special bloodlines but D&D falls over itself to not let you play them.
that could be cool

and raising the dead is an 8th level effect...
and again, effects have levels...

then again there is an episode of quantum leap (that for a sci fi show the main character doesn't have supernatural powers during the shows) where the main character (sam) needs it to rain, and knows it wont. His answer is to yell at god.

"I fix things, I do so much good. I deserve this. I do those things for you, you do this for me."

now imagine a fighter who has done so many great task and is 9th level... and works for soooo much good, then the party cleric dies. now he yells at the clerics god (to the sky) "He served you... I helped him for years to do what you need done. I earned this, HE EARNED THIS!!!" tears in his eyes as he finishes "Bring him back, i can't cast but you can...BRING! HIM! BACK!"

Captain Marvel turned around a ballistic missiles accelerating towards earth and destroyed a really big freaking space ships\ by flying through it. Thor did something with restarting a neutron star. Those feel different than wrestling even fairly big things to me...
if you don't want fighters restarting stars... don't put stars that need restarting into your game? Maybe?
Thanks for the feedback!
I'm going to add we now run 'caster' games and 'non caster games' (half casters and 1/3 casters most likely allowed in both) and we found that fighters and rogues feel more useful if hexblades, bards, clerics, and wizards aren't in it
Did the wizards still stay interested?
I have yet to in any edition found wizard to be 'board' however that is not true for all casters... in more then one edition (not 5e) clerics have this issue.
now FULL TRANSPARSNCY 2 times I have seen new players ask to swap out casters... 1 a infernal warlock, because they felt the entire idea and theme of the character no longer interested them, and 1 a sorcerer, but that one wanted to switch to wizard so they had more options.

however also paladin seems to be boreing to some (most def not all) new players as well

Halve the problem we have is fans can't agree on how a normal humanoid could train hard enough to reach the power level of Hercules or the Hulk looks.

Some fans have looked at some TV shows and movies and said "This"
Other fans have chosen "Not This" but never exclaim what their "This" is.
is john mclean or john wick? is Aragorn? is captain America or Batman or black widow (who can survive a 50ft fall hitting multi things on way down)?

Orientalism is the issue. To my thinking Martial Power is Qi, one is just in a different language same thing. And the distinction between Knight/Samurai has the same issue. Every martial character is using it subconsciously... the Martial Artist is more aware, not necessarily different. Qi points should be identical to superiority dice. (or vice versi)
I can not stress enough that MANA... the thing I bet most people (and for sure anyone working for WotC and paying attention at all to other departments) thinks as magic was... Warrior Mana in pacific island mythology, your inner drive and power to do things above ordinary when pressed... oh and they believed that you could train to be better at channeling your warrior mana.

Also, can we all appreciate that Arnold himself in his prime was more capable than a current D&D fighter at doing cool stunts and being physically strong?
tom cruse in his 50s (wait let me google wait now 60s) could give most D&D physical characters a run for there money... and 50s/60s is not ANYONEs prime
There are real people in this mundane world who are able to do more physically demanding and impressive stunts. Lots of them. They're not even rare. They're not even famous.

And yet the excuse of preventing D&D Martial classes from doing those same things... is realism.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads