Belt of STR + Bulls STR

OK quick question.

If you have a Belt of STR +4, can you on top of this bonus then have someone or thing cast Bull's Strength on you and then stack them?

I could not find anything that clearly says yea or nay on this in the books.

Blackmoor

whatisitgoodfor

First Post
In the PHB, it clearly states that bonuses of the same type do not stack.

A belt of strength and the spell bull's strength both provide an enhancement bonus to Str, and therefore do not stack.

IanB

First Post
They don't stack. Bull's Strength and Belts of Giant Strength both give enhancement bonuses, and bonuses with the same name don't stack, except for dodge bonuses and in certain cases, circumstance bonuses.

SpikeyFreak

First Post
IanB said:
They don't stack. Bull's Strength and Belts of Giant Strength both give enhancement bonuses, and bonuses with the same name don't stack, except for dodge bonuses and in certain cases, circumstance bonuses.
And some armor bonuses and enhancement bonuses.

--Vague Spikey

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
SpikeyFreak said:

And some armor bonuses and enhancement bonuses.

--Vague Spikey

Technically, the enhancement bonuses don't stack - they increase two different armor bonuses, which then stack.

--Picky CRGreathouse

Sodalis

First Post
not just because they are two enhancement mods... but they are the SAME enhancement mod. In teh DMG, under construction the belt , a preReq is bull str for a spell component- which means that you are essentially casting bull str twice.. which does not fly

Crothian

First Post
Ya, I have a player who is trying to find a way to increase his stat using a different type of bonus to place in an item.

The one thing I always found odd was you can make an item that goes beyond the limit of the spell (a +6 item even though max from the spell is +5). I ruled 0 he needed an Empower meta magic feat for that one. And that of course drove up the price.

Sodalis

First Post
sorry to hijakk this post- but i have a related question (and tehre is no use starting a new thread for just one question)

BULL STR is an arcane spell. But the psionic equivalent is also called BULL STR. since they are two different types of enhancement (one is physical (arcane) and the other is mental (psychic)) would they stack?

Considering that psionics and arcane magic is equally prevelant in the world, would the bonus then stack?

so making a psionic belt of giant str (in making it, you have meta bull str and psionic meta bull str) would you then be able to make a +16 belt (empowered- 1.5x- maxed-5+1 bull str + empowered- 1.5x- maxed- 5 + 1 psionic bull str)

I know there is no way any DM would let that fly- but in tehory, would that work?

Remove ads