• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Benifit of being poor?

Shadus

First Post
So I'm working on a caste system for my next campaign, and I want there to be a different mechanical benefit for each caste. So far I've managed to give the different castes benefits that are both interesting mechanically and fluff...y. For example, the Noble Caste starts play with a servant and the Warrior caste get a Weapon Expertise depending on what clan they come from.

This was all fine and dandy until I got to the Peasant Caste. I mean, what would be the benefit of being a lower class untrained worker be? I was kind thinking that they get some kind of magical benefit, but I already have a caste that gets something like that. So instead, I've come the conclusion that I want it to be the "everyday dude" caste, but I also need to give it something otherwise I'd end up with my PCs either taking to one extreme or the other. No middle ground.

So any ideas?

Arctic Wolf

First Post
I would consider possibly a thievery, dungoneering, streetwise or nature increase since a Peasant would most likely know where to go in a city to get things and how to forage for food in the wilderness. That would be a good start I think.

ffy

First Post
I would suggest the benefit of the Peasant Caste to be that everyone doesn't hate you. I imagine many peasants having a view of the world like 'All these nobles do is tax our crops and sit in their castles drinking wine, all these warriors do is recruit young men to go to their deaths in wars they don't understand, but you, fellow peasant, are all right!' I understand the castes aren't going to be equal in number of members, so getting favorable responses from the most numerous caste should already be a big boon by itself.

For a peasant to do well he should be better than normal at whatever he wanted to do, so I imagine something like an extra trained skill, but not everything should be available. The list provided by [MENTION=6686199]Arctic Wolf[/MENTION] is a good start, but I would also maybe add Athletics and Endurance. As an additional fluffy/thinking outside the box bonus you could also add a small bonus for the purposes of ability check rolls, something to show that they are hard working or know how to apply themselves (for example +1 to all strength checks).

Klaus

First Post
So I'm working on a caste system for my next campaign, and I want there to be a different mechanical benefit for each caste. So far I've managed to give the different castes benefits that are both interesting mechanically and fluff...y. For example, the Noble Caste starts play with a servant and the Warrior caste get a Weapon Expertise depending on what clan they come from.

This was all fine and dandy until I got to the Peasant Caste. I mean, what would be the benefit of being a lower class untrained worker be? I was kind thinking that they get some kind of magical benefit, but I already have a caste that gets something like that. So instead, I've come the conclusion that I want it to be the "everyday dude" caste, but I also need to give it something otherwise I'd end up with my PCs either taking to one extreme or the other. No middle ground.

So any ideas?
I'd give a bonus to Diplomacy and Streetwise when dealing with other Peasants.

And I'd also give a bonus to Fortitude. It's not that being a peasant makes you hardier, but that only those with greater resilience can survive the hardships of a peasant's life.

Ryujin

Legend
I'd give a bonus to Diplomacy and Streetwise when dealing with other Peasants.

And I'd also give a bonus to Fortitude. It's not that being a peasant makes you hardier, but that only those with greater resilience can survive the hardships of a peasant's life.

I think that the "hardier" thing makes the most sense, but I think that I'd deal with it somewhat differently. I think that I'd give a +2 to Endurance skill and a 1/day reroll of a saving throw.

Gronin

Explorer
There are several attributes that a peasant could use to his or her advantage, mny of which have been mentioned already. A couple of things that haven't been mentioned yet though are a peasants sure knowledge of where they fit into the world (I suppose this might be diplomacy -- so I guess this is just a rational for an earleir mention) and peasants know how stay invisible or at least not be noticed -- I am not entirely sure how to put this in game terms -- perhaps as mentioned earlier a streetwise mod but it could be something else.

Ferghis

First Post
A skill bonus to a relevant skill is very plausible.

Another idea would be to let peasants pass unobserved anywhere but in a "secure area."

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
You could have Peasants get training in a bonus skill from a list of peasant-appropriate skills (most of which have already been listed). If you want to give them something usable in combat too, you might consider a feat improving survivability, like an initiative boost, Toughness, increased healing surge value, or the one that gives you temp hp when you use a surge.

Which skill training and which combat benefit they get would depend on background - a huntsman might get Nature and Toughness, while a thug might get Thievery and Quick Draw.

Will Doyle

Explorer
The peasant class may be the lowest rung of the feudal ladder, but it's by far the most popular. At first glance, I'd give a flat bonus to Streetwise. It's tempting to go for Endurance too, but I don't think the feudal upper class were shielded all that much from the hardships of life. Sure, they didn't share their homes with livestock, but they still lived an active, outdoors lifestyle. Much more so than is commonly portrayed.

Serfs could have weapon proficiencies too (remember the flail was mostly an agricultural tool, as were many polearms). Weapons training was also enforced - for example, there's evidence British serfs were obliged to practice the longbow every Sunday.

All said, I guess the one thing that really sets peasants apart is the fact they're predominantly farmers - so of all the peoples in the medieval world, they're the most in tune with nature. You toyed with giving them a magical benefit, and in a high fantasy setting, I'd be inclined to stick with that. Something primal, e.g. daily access to the Shaman's Speak with Spirits. I imagine the Feywild touches those who tend the land, so your average farmer is constantly wary of spriggans souring his milk, or pixies putting tintacks in his boots.

Klaus

First Post
There are several attributes that a peasant could use to his or her advantage, mny of which have been mentioned already. A couple of things that haven't been mentioned yet though are a peasants sure knowledge of where they fit into the world (I suppose this might be diplomacy -- so I guess this is just a rational for an earleir mention) and peasants know how stay invisible or at least not be noticed -- I am not entirely sure how to put this in game terms -- perhaps as mentioned earlier a streetwise mod but it could be something else.
This pretty much describes the benefits of the Freed Slave theme from a Dark Sun article in Dragon.

Remove ads