• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Berserker Barbarian Fix?

Eejit

First Post
Yes. Same problem with hand xbow and 2 feats. one with bonus attack and one with -5/+10. I would not want to nerf it too hard though, as until you are sitting at 20 Str it is not too problematic.
I am just not sure how to nerf it in a way that makes it still worthwhile.

-5/+10 only once per turn, and not on a bonus action attack.

I think charger is better for damage increase than GWM. +5 damage with no to hit penalty and can be used every round with half way decent placement skills, as you just position at the corners or enemies, or if you are playing a halfling just dash through them.

After dash it is a bonus action attack which does not work well with extra attack.

And still it seems like a good feat to have for a barbarian. (In actual play situations... not theorie crafting... getting into reach for an attack is essential fr a barbarian.)

Not really. Rogues do have one of the best options for a bonus attack including a bonus action dash. On the other hand they may set up the charge every other turn by using disengage and charge. Power gamers would be delighted by +2.5 damage on average. ;)

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
I think a 'Quickling' build with Mobility and Charge might work on a rogue (or others with a single attack).

For the charge bonus you only need to move 10' straight. And can attack anywhere along your move.

Attacking on the way out is just as doable as attacking on the way in.

Motorskills

Explorer
To me, an iconic berzerker is the Celtic warrior "skyclad" with an axe in each hand.

As I understand it, since Frenzy gives an additional attack as a bonus action, it clashes with Two Weapon Fighting, and thus you don't get full advantage of the offhand weapon.

Is that right, are people okay with that? If not, are there potential fixes?

To me, an iconic berzerker is the Celtic warrior "skyclad" with an axe in each hand.

As I understand it, since Frenzy gives an additional attack as a bonus action, it clashes with Two Weapon Fighting, and thus you don't get full advantage of the offhand weapon.

Is that right, are people okay with that? If not, are there potential fixes?

I'd assume plenty of people are okay with it. People are apparently okay with the fact that a rogue swashbuckler is designed for two-weapon fighting, but can't even dual-wield cutlasses (=scimitar=not-proficient) much less rapier and main-gauche. People are okay with there being no reasonable option for fighting with a single one-handed sword (no shield, no dual-wielding), despite the fact that such a style is all over fantasy. People tend to be okay with a lot of things that sort of smash conventions, for some reason.

Motorskills

Explorer
I'd assume plenty of people are okay with it. People are apparently okay with the fact that a rogue swashbuckler is designed for two-weapon fighting, but can't even dual-wield cutlasses (=scimitar=not-proficient) much less rapier and main-gauche. People are okay with there being no reasonable option for fighting with a single one-handed sword (no shield, no dual-wielding), despite the fact that such a style is all over fantasy. People tend to be okay with a lot of things that sort of smash conventions, for some reason.

Well my concern is that they are (only) okay with it because they take a polearm or great axe instead.

I have a player that wants to take this subclass. We've looked it over, and quite frankly it sucks. (as the internet is well-aware).

So I'm asking for a fix. On the one hand, removing the exhaustion penalty completely makes it a little insane (on par with "just make an extra attack as a bonus action all the time"). On the other hand, every "fix" I've found involves ways of getting rid of the exhaustion (such as using spells, or removing two each day, etc.)

I think what would be happier for my game is some sort of limiting factor that didnt have anything to do with exhaustion whatsoever. But I can't think of how to do that. Ideas?

I rule it that you can use it 1/short rest without causing exhaustion.

Remove ads