Besides RPGs and Video Games, What Do You Do For Fun?

Ryujin

Legend
A generalized gear talk thread could get weird. Like, you talking guitars, and my talking about the loom I just assembled for my wife....
Add in my recently acquired ring light, two LED "hot lights", and the blackout box I'm building in my front room, and there's definitely room for a lot of confusion.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Add in my recently acquired ring light, two LED "hot lights", and the blackout box I'm building in my front room, and there's definitely room for a lot of confusion.
I dont understand the words coming out of your post.

Ryujin

Legend
I dont understand the words coming out of your post.
My point, exactly ;)

EDIT - Quick shot of the setup. I've got room to make it about 3 feet wider and 4 feet deeper, which is the plan, but some furniture needs to go first. Going to try a little portraiture and product photography, to replace the motorsports stuff that I used to do.

Attachments

• 20230714_125210.jpg
    20230714_125210.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 41
Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I done did it- there’s a musical gear thread now.

(For some reason, I’m getting an error message when posting the link to it. 🤷🏾‍♂️ )

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
Playing with my grandkids. We go on many "adventures" together, and I get to make up and tell all sorts of fantastic stories.

Those little guys are more fun than a barrel of kobolds.

Jahydin

Hero
It may produce the same effect, but I'd suspect there's a reason why it works the way it does. I believe that its probably just easier to control at the guitar volume rather than the amp and gives you a more reliable result. In the early days of rock n roll players would crank up their amps on the lead channel pushing the amps to their limit and if I'm not mistaken that's where the term Overdrive comes from. I'd bet modern amps can handle this better than more vintage ones, but I'm no expert.
Very cool!
I'm pretty sure that Eddie Van Halen never used any distortion or overdrive pedals, he got his distortion from his guitar, amp and his fingers. Don't quote me on this because I don't remember the exact particulars but when he was developing his style kept blowing the power in his house. So he went to Radioshack and bought a "power converter" (not sure if thats the exact name of it) that stepped down the "amperage" which allowed him to play at a lower volume
and still get a distorted sound.
That was a neat read! And I fight volume all the time with my modern amps, I can't imagine what it was like with vintage gear. I have a Hot Plate for my Peavy that helps a ton and a volume pedal I put into "the loop" on the back of my Hot Rod to cut noise. Even then, it only sounds really good around 90db. 100dB is my preference, but worried I'd be bothering the neighbors if I play too long at that volume.

Thanks for the awesome post!

Last edited:

Remove ads