• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Best class for GWF

Belnorock

First Post
Hello,
I am a new player who dabbled a little bit in 4e but is really getting started for the fist time in 5e. I am creating a character for Adventurers League and want to build something around a Great Weapon fighting Half-Orc. There looks to be advantages to going both Barbarian Beserker or Fighter Champion but I've read mixed things about multi-classing the two so I post this question. What is the best class for crushing my enemies with a giant (great) weapon?

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Barbarian.

If you multiclass, make sure you plan it out so you're not losing ability boosts or feats (if your group allows that option).

Paraxis

Explorer
Barbarian. Unless the DM uses the optional "flanking" rule form the dmg, in that case I would say champion fighter, barbarian is better normally because of built in constant advantage to mitigate the -5 to hit penalty of GWF feat, if the fighter can always get advantage and have extended crit range it probably pulls ahead.

But I will also make a case for a oath of vengeance paladin, the great weapon fighting style lets you reroll all damage dice that come up 1's and 2's so extra dice from smite or hunter's mark spell. The vow of enmity gives you advantage on all your attacks when it counts against big bosses. I think it lags behind the other two a bit, but provides different fun options than the classic mindless fighter spamming the same old stuff over and over again.

Belnorock

First Post
The vengeance paladin does have an appeal to it. I like the idea of swearing enmity for roleplaying purposes. Will the vengeful paladin do sufficient damage when he's not spiking?

Voort

Explorer
Will the vengeful paladin do sufficient damage when he's not spiking?

Not in Adventurers League. A standard array or point-buy paladin is just too dependent on having a high score in multiple stats to take feats and have the needed STR.

gyor

Legend
Yes, Vengence Paladin's have no problem dealing consistant damage as well as Spiking while passively buffing allies as well.

Remove ads