• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Best designed classes in 5e

S'mon

Legend
My favourite 5e class is Barbarian, esp Totem path (& Primeval Thule Slayer Path also nice). Ranger seems the worst, no one plays a Ranger now IME, but the biggest disappointment for me is Fighter. I had a bad time trying
to play a Fighter, a noble princess warrior. Battlemaster is both weak and fiddly. Yesterday I had an epiphany and realised I should just have built her as a Barbarian. I played a Slayer Barbarian and loved it.
I played a Paladin, it was powerful enough but I strongly disliked the spell-centric design. It feels like
a Cleric.

I both like and dislike the warlock design. Its innovative with lots of potential, but the actual mechanics need fixing, especially for Blade and Chain options. There's too many flaws for me to say its the best, but otherwise? Great ideas, poor execution.

I have to say I think the paladin, from a purely design standpoint, is probably the best designed. There is a very good synergy between giving Concentration boosts, fighting, their paladin magic, and a host of other abilities. Very few mechanical flaws.

After that? The core four (fighter, rogue, cleric, wizard) are all solidly designed.

Hate the current bard. Usually love them, but the current iteration does NOT feel like a bard to me. Mechanically solid, thematically a failure.

Very interesting and diverse opinions so far. I like it. What do people think of the Eldritch Knight? I think it is a very interesting design and can serve as a base for lots of interesting characters, especially if you open up the schools allowed. Love me my Illusion focused knight.
Too few spell slots for too long of a time. You're basically restricted to level 2 spells for the overwhelming number of games. Can't even cast Elemental Weapon or Magic Weapnon, classics. Too few cantrips known for using with War Magic, to the point I feel compelled to be a high elf almost every time. I feel like E.K. falls back to the Shield spell far too often as its go-to. I know its a good spell, but feels monotonous after a bit. The only variation that I see come up is using spell slots to cast a ranged attack before moving into melee range.

The SCAG cantrips are a big boon here. I honestly would rather give up all level 1+ spells and just be really good at mixing cantrips with fighting.

Last edited:

What enabled the five-minute workday game flaw was your DM allowing you to long rest while cultists work to unleash the forces of hell with no consequences.
Whatever timeline they were supposed to be working on, it was apparently generous enough that there was no need to fight more than two bosses in the same day. I don't know how much of that was spelled out in the book, and how much was down to DM discretion, but I'd be surprised if we were supposed to teleport halfway across the region more than once in a day. It's not like we could have fought all of the bosses in one day, even if we'd wanted to; as far as I know, there was no wand of teleportation available anywhere.

hejtmane

Explorer
I would say Battle Master is while designed on the fighter side the EK was better than I expected

Monk I think the Way of the fist and Long Death and shadow is solid their is nothign to realy liek about the elemntal monk

I didn't say it was unintended. I said it was bad. Which it is, empirically, because it is noticeably disruptive when compared to the other classes. It enable the five-minute workday game flaw, in a way which the spellcasting classes were intelligently designed to avoid.
And, empirically, the paladin is also receiving accolades for good design on this very thread. Please don't assume the mantle of objectivity for a subjective opinion.

RonLugge

First Post
Whatever timeline they were supposed to be working on, it was apparently generous enough that there was no need to fight more than two bosses in the same day. I don't know how much of that was spelled out in the book, and how much was down to DM discretion, but I'd be surprised if we were supposed to teleport halfway across the region more than once in a day. It's not like we could have fought all of the bosses in one day, even if we'd wanted to; as far as I know, there was no wand of teleportation available anywhere.

If you leave one of the keeps / temples / undertemples (say, to take a rest) they're supposed to restaff in your absence. You're more-or-less forced to take the entire place on a single long rest -- and even short rests aren't guaranteed.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads