• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best introductory adventure

scruffygrognard

Adventurer
Hey all,
I'm looking to run an intro adventure for my group this weekend and want to know what you consider to be the best, 1st-level, adventure for AD&D (or compatible with AD&D... Basic D&D, Hackmaster, Labyrinth Lord, OSRIC, etc). List as many as you like... so long as they're good.
Thanks!

lordxaviar

Explorer
Hey all,
I'm looking to run an intro adventure for my group this weekend and want to know what you consider to be the best, 1st-level, adventure for AD&D (or compatible with AD&D... Basic D&D, Hackmaster, Labyrinth Lord, OSRIC, etc). List as many as you like... so long as they're good.
Thanks!

one of my favorites is Treasure hunt its set 2 ed (im still tweeking the 3.5) and is for 0 levels.. very interesting way to begin I have used it several times..

I then ususally lead them to either Saltmarsh U1 or T1 hommlet... U-1 usually is easier as they will be arriving by boat from Treasure hunt.

I have updated u-1 but its not as competed as I want... though it is the most thorough job ever done... I even give the square footage of the haunted house..lol

Ranger19k

Explorer
I second Lord Xaviar's recommendation for Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh. It's levels 1-3, runs fairly easily, and was rated one of the top 30 modules of all time. It also includes pre-rolled characters inside (I think) if you wanted to just pick it up and start playing.

His other recommendation of T1 Village of Homlet (or the expanded T1-4 Temple of Elemental Evil) is also solid. If you go T1-4 you are heading off onto a level 1-10ish campaign path, so it kind of depends what you are interested in. if you are in it for the long haul, go ahead and jump on board with the full T1-4, but if you were looking for something shorter, then, again, Xavier's recommendation of just T1 is a good one.

Another SOLID 1ed module is Against the Cult of the Reptile God. It's levels 1-3, and I think it's actually an even better module than the other two, but it can be quite challenging for players and a bit deadly, so while I love it and recommend you looking it over anyways, if your players are all new then it might not be the best option.

Finally, Keep on the Borderlands is THE classic introductory module. I know that it was originally for the Basic set, and I don't know if it was updated for 1st Ed, but this is the module that myself and most of the D&D gamers I know cut their teeth on. It is well balanced, easy to run (for both players and DM) and has the flexibility to allow a new DM to easily either 1) strictly follow the module, or 2) Improv to add his own color - depending how much time/effort he/she wants to put into it. Either way would be successful and fun for the players. I always recommend Keep on the Borderlands as a good starter.

Magesmiley

Explorer
There were a whole slew of the basic modules suitable for 1st levelers. The Keep on the Borderlands, as previously mentioned, was probably the best.

I've run most of the others from the series at one point or another, and my players enjoyed The Lost City (B4) and Horror on the Hill (B5) the next best.

There was also a Return to the Keep on the Borderlands that was done for 2nd edition.

Rhun

First Post
Haunted Halls of Eveningstar. It can require a bit of work on the DM's part, but I've always liked it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads