Best polymorph choices for a small-sized caster?

Lazybones

Adventurer
I've got a gnome illusionist approaching 7th level, and in addition to improved invisibility, I'm thinking about taking polymorph self.

I've seen some favorite choices for an M-sized caster (umber hulk seems really popular), but what forms do you recommend for a small-sized caster? I'd appreciate a few recommendations for combat utility and other generally useful situations. The character's a bard-illusionist (currently levels 4/6) and mostly bolsters the other party members in combat.

Thanks in advance,
LB

Artoomis

First Post
You should probably stick with illusion spells as an illusionist (aside from doing a better job with them, it fits your character better).

Consider Phantasmal Killer (Fearsome illusion kills subject or deals 3d6 damage.) or Shadow Conjuration (Mimics conjuring below 4th level) for sure.

Lazybones

Adventurer
Thanks, Artoomis, but I'll decide what I want to fit my character's concept. So no one has an actual answer to my question?

shilsen

Adventurer
Lazybones said:
Thanks, Artoomis, but I'll decide what I want to fit my character's concept. So no one has an actual answer to my question?

For better AC and Str, while retaining spellcasting ability, try a green hag (9HD, so you'll need to be 9th lvl). For decent combat ability, try some of the medium-sized dragons.

Lazybones

Adventurer
Thanks for the answer, shilsen.

All I've got here is the SRD, but where does it say that you can only polymorph into a creature with your HD or fewer? I couldn't find it in the Polymorph Other or Polymorph Self spell descriptions.

Remove ads