• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

best way to lose an MMA fight?

They moved the Mir vs Overeem fight to it. Supposedly the Nevada commission decided Mir needed, or would benefit from, more time of after being knocked out by The War Master. For some reason they didn't care about Overeem getting knocked out far worse in his previous fight.

No, I missed the fights last night. I wanted to see the Shields vs Maia fight. Totally forgot it was last night. I'm going to have to find it online. So did Shields win?

Zombie_Babies

First Post
Yup. Split decision. What I saw, though, was him owning Maia on the ground for the most part. His wrestling beat Maia's BJJ. Maia owned him standing, though, which says something about how far he's come. That fight was one of the two that was any good at all. The rest featured overweight and gassed fighters. Terrible. Shields/Maia and Kim/Silva, though, were awesome. Kim/Silva was actually what I'd consider epic. Peep that one if you can find it. Spectacular finish.

I haven't been able to find the full Shields vs Maia fight video. The UFC has been doing a pretty good job going after sites that have the videos. I saw some of the highlights of the fight. Looked decent enough. Want Hamil fighting Silva also? I wish Hamil had stayed retired. He took a lot of damage his first go-around. He should have just focused on training other guys.

Zombie_Babies

First Post
Hamil was there ... I wouldn't say he fought. It was ugly and Thiago came in way, way heavy, too. At least Hamil got some extra cash for the beating he took.

Sounds like I didn't miss much by not watching that card. I saw a bit more of the Shields vs Maia fight. Shields did better that he has done in a while, but honestly, I still want impressed with his performance. He still has no chance against GSP. If Hendrix beats GSP, I don't see Shields being able to stay awake if he gets into a stand-up fight with Hendrix.

You can really see the difference in the level of competition between the UFC and Strike Force. Shields came in with this huge reputation and he hasn't done much.

Which reminds me, how well do you think Teixiera will do against Jones? Gufsaffson did pretty good against Jones. He did much better than anyone thought.

Zombie_Babies

First Post
Yeah, Shields was better than he has been but still not terribly impressive - although Maia has been really good lately. Overall that card totally sucked but the Kim/Silva fight was awesome. Find it! Find in nao! :excited:

I dunno about Texiera cuz I haven't seen him much. I don't really give anyone much of a chance against Jones although after seeing the pic of him in the hospital it's definitely been shown that he's beatable. dood was straight messed up. Looked like one of RH's ladies cannonballed onto his face.

I think part of the reason that Gufstafson did so well against Jones was that early on homes hurt his foot. Apparently Gufstafson checked Jones' kicks, and in one of those checks homes broke his foot or hurt it pretty bad. He wasn't able to go for the takedown because of it. His movement was also hampered.

I've seen a few of Teixiera's fights. He hits hard, but I haven't seen him check kicks. I don't know why more people don't check kicks. I read some MMA article written by this dude that does some pretty awesome analysis of fighters and techniques. He linked a video of some high level kickboxer breaking his foot in a checked kick. Off a high level kick boxer can get stupid like that, an MMS guy can as well.

Teixiera has some good power, but he doesn't seem to have any great technique or fight plan other than "hit them had."

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads