Biggest enemy and/or battle you’ve encountered?

C-Moon

Suzerain Infomancer
With Dragon Con 2020 not long finished, I was reading through/watching several game sessions and seeing all the awesome fights and adventures people went through. It made me remember the big events of past TTRPG sessions I’ve played/GM’d.

Question: What’s the biggest enemy and/or battle you’ve encountered? (but not necessarily won!)

Bring_It_On.png

aco175

Legend
Biggest battle was at a convention where 30ish players and 4 DMs gathered in a arena battle that lasted 4 hours. Each team of 2 PCs were trying to get something from the middle and it was a bit chaotic but fun for a convention event.

As far as monsters, I recall a few fights with gods in my middle school years. The quote of "If it has hit points, it can be killed" rang true.

I've used a humanoid monster (a vast Earth Elemental) that was about 68 inches high at 25mm figure scale. I used myself as the figure.

I've played in a battle against an army of Moorcockian chaos that used the whole floor of a lounge as the board. The mass of the army was wererats riding giant spiders; I think there were something like 20,000 of them. In such a battle, Protection from Normal Missiles is an absolutely vital spell.

practicalm

Explorer
In the Los Angeles conventions (Orcon, Gateway, Strategicon) in the 80s, there used to be a castle set where people could bring any character they wanted and try to make it into the castle.

I didn't usually have time to participate but I don't think many characters made it to the castle doors.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Do Battle Interactives count? Possibly 200 players at 25 tables playing similar scenarios, after a time limit reporting results to a central coordinating table.

Richards

Legend
My original 3.0 campaign with my two sons ended up with my oldest son declaring he wanted to permanently slay Orcus on his home plane. That became the overarching goal of the entire second half of the campaign. They took a lot of steps to significantly weaken Orcus so slaying him would actually be feasible and in the end my oldest son's cleric PC did in fact kill Orcus. But he did it by betraying my younger son's sorcerer PC, backstabbing her through the heart with his fiendslayer longspear so her inherent goodness could be channeled through the spear to slay the Demon Lord, since the spear's head stabbed into Orcus immediately after piercing the sorcerer from behind, linking the two of them. Unfortunately, while it did slay Orcus, there was enough "backwash" to instantly corrupt the betrayed sorcerer and she took over as the new Demon Princess of the Undead, gaining all of Orcus's power in the transition. You can probably guess her first action in her new role; things didn't work out too well for the cleric PC after that....

Johnathan

As a player? In our 1st Edition Legend of the Five Rings game, our little group of Rank 1 heroes went through an entire campaign fighting a dark conspiracy that ended in a mass combat with armies clashing against the Shadowlands forces at the Festering Pit of Fu Leng. The GM refused to let us spend XP and raise our Rank until we had a chance to rest, and he never let us rest before throwing us into another crisis. So our final battle to stop Shadowlands demons and prevent the return of the dark god Fu Leng occured AT RANK 1 with no upgrades.

Remove ads