Blade Runner: The Next Million Dollar Kickstarter?

Free League's Blade Runner Kickstarter has just launched, and is tearing through stretch goals after funding in just 3 minutes. It looks very likely that this will be the company's second million dollar Kickstarter (following last year's The One Ring campaign, which raised over $2M). It will also be the third million dollar Kickstarter in the last month, following Matt Colville's Flee Mortals!, and Monte Cook Games' Old Gods of Appalachia.

Blade Runner was voted the Most Anticipated TTRPG of 2022 by readers of EN World right here.

Free League's other million dollar Kickstarter, The One Ring, did $521K on the first day and finished with $2M. Compared to the other million dollar campaigns in the last few weeks --
  • Flee Mortals! did $788K on the first day.
  • Old Gods of Appalachia did $679K on the first day.
  • Only one campaign has done $1M+ on day 1, and that was Avatar Legends with $1.15M on the first day.

br.jpg

Last edited:

aramis erak

Legend
Regarding what you can play. FL have said in interviews that you can play replicant, human but also a human that may be a replicant (the player doesn't know). In Alien RPG they solved this by letting the player use all the rules for being human until it is known that he isn't human. The same could be done here.

Unlike Alien RPG, you can't (as far as I know) play a replicant that hide his nature for the other players but he himself knows it. That would be PvP and that kind of play works better in Alien RPG.
Many YZE games are set so PVP is possible.

Alien especially so, for the cinematic modules. Also note: the Alien rules also note that once a "hidden" synthetic reveals, it no longer has a stress total. The involuntary ways include any hit that opens the skin... and they cannot turn it back on in the cinematic adventure (which is really a mini-campaign each, in my experience of 4 runs of the Cinematics; 3 of Chariot, 1 of Destroyer.

T2K 4e can easily support PVP, but the setting really is a bit harsh for players to want PVP...

The base assumptions in most YZE games include everyone has an in-party rival and in-party buddy.

Fenhorn

Explorer
Many YZE games are set so PVP is possible.

Alien especially so, for the cinematic modules. Also note: the Alien rules also note that once a "hidden" synthetic reveals, it no longer has a stress total. The involuntary ways include any hit that opens the skin... and they cannot turn it back on in the cinematic adventure (which is really a mini-campaign each, in my experience of 4 runs of the Cinematics; 3 of Chariot, 1 of Destroyer.

T2K 4e can easily support PVP, but the setting really is a bit harsh for players to want PVP...

The base assumptions in most YZE games include everyone has an in-party rival and in-party buddy.
In alien an androids looks different on the inside, a replicant doesn't. A replicant can get injured without revealing that he is a replicant. In BR it is apparently very hard to detect a replicant, inside or outside, so hard that it takes a special test to do it (at least in the first movie).

You have a rival in Alien, a game that does support PvP, even though the concept of rival has nothing to do with PvP, it is just a feature to promote roleplay. In other YZE-games have, the characters have a buddy, best friend and you sometimes write a sentence what you think of the person.
The only other (English) game FL make use of PvP is Mutant: Elysium.

MGibster

Legend
In alien an androids looks different on the inside, a replicant doesn't. A replicant can get injured without revealing that he is a replicant. In BR it is apparently very hard to detect a replicant, inside or outside, so hard that it takes a special test to do it (at least in the first movie).
I prefer the term "Artifical Person" myself. In the first movie, you could get clues from the physical actions the replicants performed. Leon and Roy's feats of strength as well as Pris removing the egg from boiling water with her bare hands with no apparent harm. But, yeah, they're hard to tell from humans. I guess because they really are human.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Do we have any reliable estimates of the U shape of Kickstarters and where they end up? I know KickTraq and it’s not reliable. Was it something like about 1/3 in the first few days, 1/3 over the long saggy middle, and 1/3 in the last few days…roughly?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Do we have any reliable estimates of the U shape of Kickstarters and where they end up? I know KickTraq and it’s not reliable. Was it something like about 1/3 in the first few days, 1/3 over the long saggy middle, and 1/3 in the last few days…roughly?
Ish, yeah. Bit more weighted to the start than the end.

Yora

Legend
I prefer the term "Artifical Person" myself. In the first movie, you could get clues from the physical actions the replicants performed. Leon and Roy's feats of strength as well as Pris removing the egg from boiling water with her bare hands with no apparent harm. But, yeah, they're hard to tell from humans. I guess because they really are human.
Leon always gave me the impression like he's meant to be a meat forklift.

Makes no economic or technological sense, but that's kind of the defining feature of Philip Dick stories.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases