• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Blast, Burst and Close

Negflar2099

Explorer
The one thing I can't figure out is the difference between Burst, Blast and Close attacks.

A Burst is like a fireball right so a Burst 3 would look like this ( O=Origin Square, X=Affected Sqaure) right?

XXXXXXX
XXXXXXX
XXXXXXX
XXXOXXX
XXXXXXX
XXXXXXX
XXXXXXX

And a Blast 3 would look like this (O=Origin Square, X=Affected square) right?

XXX
XXX
XXX
O

So would would Close look like and how is it different than a Burst? Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Mort_Q

First Post
Negflar2099 said:
I looked through that page sent me to but I couldn't find it.

Page 60 if you go by the printed page number, Page 64 if you're just viewing in a pdf reader.

Negflar2099 said:
So what's a regular burst? Is there such a thing?

Ok, now that I've confused you...

Your first example is a Close Burst 3.

Your second example is a Blast 3.

The other kind of Burst is a ranged Burst... which centers, not on the caster, like a close burst, but on a square within a designated range.

ShinRyuuBR

First Post
This is why I've said it should be called "Ranged Burst" and "Close Burst" instead of "Area Burst" and "Close Burst", in this thread: http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=227160

It's just not intuitive.

Just to be clear, a burst can originate either at range or at yourself (Area Burst and Close Burst, respectively). A blast is alway close, and a wall is always area (ranged).

Stogoe

First Post
I don't think a Blast is always Close. The placing of the effect doesn't change, but 'Close' just means "no OA", and a Blast *could* provoke OAs, theoretically. It would seem silly, but it's possible.

*note that this is my opinion and may not actually be correct.

Logan_Bonner

First Post
The Pre-release Rules Compilation uses the wrong terminology. It will say "close blast," not just "blast," and "area burst" instead of "ranged burst."

The categories are:
Melee—single target, doesn't provoke, attack a nearby creature.
Close—multi-target, doesn't provoke, attack nearby creatures, origin square is your square.
Ranged—single target, provokes, attack a distant creature.
Area—multi-target, provokes, attack distant creatures, origin square is far away.

Mort_Q

First Post
WotC_Logan said:
The Pre-release Rules Compilation uses the wrong terminology. It will say "close blast," not just "blast," and "area burst" instead of "ranged burst."

The categories are:
Close—multi-target, doesn't provoke, attack nearby creatures, origin square is your square.
Area—multi-target, provokes, attack distant creatures, origin square is far away.

You're the best! Thanks.

Wisdom Penalty

First Post
WotC_Logan said:

The categories are:

Logan - So a Close Blast 5, in effect, forms a block of squares that are adjacent to (but not including) the caster's square? Whereas a Close Burst 5 forms a bigger block with the caster's square as the center origin?

Remove ads