Blizzard at Revel's End (OOC) Temporary Hiatus

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Could be the same trouble as @Leatherhead’s character?
Could have been the inside-man in the heist-gone-wrong, if you both like. You can also work out if that means that you're allies, or hold a grudge. (That you can drop to work together again as the game moves forward).
Inside man sounds fun.
emoji2.png
Maybe not a big grudge, but a minor one can lead to some fun roleplaying if Leatherhead is down.

Sure, I can go with that. Maybe a schedule conflict? You were supposed to make sure that someone was away from the scene, but they showed up despite the plans anyway?

I was thinking of an Echo Knight myself, the anti-magic and remote location being more justified against someone who can slip though cracks.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Echo Knight seems neat. Haven't seen one in play yet.

I've been thinking about how I want to run combat. For those who haven't played my games, I have a few things I do maybe differently than most (I'll describe what I usually do, then tell you if I'm going to try something different here):

1) I don't use initiative. I just resolve stuff in order of the posting, and post a "round-roller" when everyone and all the bad-guys have gone. I'll do that here as usual, because it works well for PBP. Just imagine that everything is happening simultaneously, but that you can quickly glance around to see what's going on with anyone who's posted already (assuming you can see them).

2) I like to make maps. Now, I think I might not do it with this game for two reasons: a) it takes a lot of my time; b) I'm going for a moody thriller-vibe. I want you to have a view from your character's eyes, not a top-down view. That said, I'll probably make a map for myself to keep track of where everyone is, so if you really want a peek at it (if you're having trouble imagining where everyone is at) then just ask me, and I'll post it here in the OOC thread on a case-by-case basis. Also, feel free to ask for any further descripition, and we'll solve whatever we can using narrative.

3) I usually make two posts between rounds - one that recognizes and resolves what everyone did, and one that rolls the round (and shows where everyone is at). I think that I'm not going to do that in this game. I want to try something new. My thinking right now (it might change as the game gets going) is that I will simply reply to each person's post (or a few at a time) and add in some bad guy's turns. I'll tick everyone off in my notes, and when everyone is done and everything is resolved, I'll post a "Go for round X" to let you know you can take another turn. It'll be a little more conversational, in some ways at least, than I currently do, and maybe will prevent me from getting overwhelmed (as I have lately) when I have 8 or so turns to resolve all at once. We'll see if it works.

4) I don't like OOC chat in my IC thread, but being a "Yes!"-style DM, I don't give anyone trouble for it. That said, please use THIS thread for questions, clarifications, and any other OOC chat, as often as possible. An ooc comment here-and-there in the IC is fine, I guess, but keep it to a minimum, please.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Oh - here's another thing for you to think about as you make your character: Regardless of which of the 3 groups you're from, you can be either Newly Arrived (at the start of the game; Been There Awhile (months or more); or Part of the Place (been there for years and years).

That choice will make a difference as to what information I feed you as things occur. (Stuff you should "already know".

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Sure, I can go with that. Maybe a schedule conflict? You were supposed to make sure that someone was away from the scene, but they showed up despite the plans anyway?

I was thinking of an Echo Knight myself, the anti-magic and remote location being more justified against someone who can slip though cracks.

That sounds good! Let me think a bit about why my character would do this to another important family, but I think that could be the backbone of our common story.

I am also eager to see an echo knight and an eldritch knight in combat together. Could be devastating.

Any other potential players interested in common ground?

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
So I have two ideas:

a. Goliath Druid. Once a guard or medic of the place, but now incarcerated because he was offering heals and goodberries, without authorization. (This assumes there is corruption in the administration of the prison against which he had to fight). I'd say he's been in this situation a long time, just because that would frustrate a goliath. (Does the prison want al the prisoners sated? Would goodberries be a boring but welcome means of sustenance? I presume frostbitten fingers and toes would get cured by lesser restoration).

b. If permitted, an orc (or hobgoblin) war wizard. I envisage an orc who has killed a wizard, taken his book, and spent time with it. It only makes a kind of half-sense to him, but he's getting better. (If an orc, I'd roll into the intelligence penalty for the wizard; hobgoblin would actually be quite effective, I think. It strikes me that this is a game were a monstrous PC would fit comfortably.). Possibly his familiar is dismissed and is holding the book for him in the pocket dimension, either unknown to the guards or in definace of the authorities.

I'm open to having either of these as a guard or visitor to mix it up, if you want the mix I think everyone wants to be a prisoner just so they can roll, and I want (as clearly do others) to take up the spellcaster challenge... :D

Last edited:

FitzTheRuke

Legend
@Kobold Stew - While I'm not against your orc or hobgoblin, I'd rather you go for the Goliath. Rather than a prisoner... ooh! (An idea just struck me) - what if he (or she's) a "guest" who has for many many years, stayed at the prison in the winter to help the staff and the prisoners SURVIVE. Depending on the current Warden, it's done publicly or secretly. Perhaps the Goliath had been a prisoner, many years before, and watched many prisoners not make it through the winter, and so returns every year (or at least every bad year) to do what he can. The wardens have always put up with him (because they like to survive too) and now it's tradition, expected. Maybe officially he just helps out the staff, but secretly also helps out the prisoners. (Again, depends on the internal politics of the prison at the time). In this way, you'll be BOTH "newly arrived" (for the season) AND "part of the place".

@jmucchiello - a staff wizard would be welcome. If you want to be "newly arrived", I've got a few interesting ideas for that as well.

It's shaping up!

FitzTheRuke

Legend
(sorry - "Guest" = standard array? Fine if so.)

Yes, but you get to be level FOUR. (Everyone else is level 3). Prisoners get to roll their stats and a bonus feat, Staff get an uncommon magic item and use point-buy. I'm just playing with the concept of balance, for my own amusement.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases