• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bonuses question...

Ed Gentry

First Post
Hey all,

Do all damaging parts of a power get bonuses? For example:
Chaos Bolt for Sorcerer: 1d10+cha for primary target. If even number, blah blah, 1d6 on secondary targets if hit.

Do you get the +cha on the 1d6 for secondary hits?

There are several powers like this, I just chose this one for ease.

Thanks for any input. :)

Wepwawet

Explorer
No, you only get the Abilities modifiers you get written on the power (except for stuff like the Dragon Sorcerer class feature).

If you were supposed to add Cha. mod. to the primary attack as well as the secondary attacks, why would the power write the Cha. bonus on the primary and not on the secondary?

Obryn

Hero
You only get your stat modifier if a power specifically says you do.

On the other hand, you get all your miscellaneous bonuses (item, feat, etc.) every time you roll for damage.

You get none of the above with a fixed damage amount - like the secondary effect of Cleave.

-O

Matt James

Game Developer
Correct, you do not get it. Otherwise it would state something to the effect:

For example: Chaos Bolt for Sorcerer: 1d10+ CHA for primary target. If even number, blah blah, 1d6 + CHA on secondary targets if hit.

Ed Gentry

First Post
Thanks all! I thought this was the case but had a player disagree with me. Good to know. :) I appreciate the feedback and the speed!

Rothe_

First Post
Common misconception about powers like chaos bolt is that they do not get OTHER bonuses also to the secondary damage rolls. All sorcerers get some form of bonus damage from their secondary stats and that does get added.
So a wild sorcerer would deal 1d10 + cha + dex + enchantment + misc bonuses with the primary attack and 1d6 + dex + enchantment + misc. bonuses with the potential secondaries that hit. Only the cha bonus is dropped from the secondary.

Wepwawet

Explorer
Common misconception about powers like chaos bolt is that they do not get OTHER bonuses also to the secondary damage rolls. All sorcerers get some form of bonus damage from their secondary stats and that does get added.
That's true!
I was thinking that only dragon sorcerers had that secondary stat bonus

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads