• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Book of Many Things overview.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Regarding the random generation tables in Chapter 3, we had some hints from the preview videos, but would you.mind sharing anything about what they contain or how they work?

Regarding the random generation tables in Chapter 3, we had some hints from the preview videos, but would you.mind sharing anything about what they contain or how they work?
So a DM can build an encounter deck for an area. Roughly 20 cards each representing a monster. With some special effects for some. When an encounter happens the DM draws cards equal to the number of characters and uses one or more to make an encounter, and discards cards for slain monsters.

An example of special cards are a lurker card which is a sneaky monster who attacks separately from the main monsters encountered. And the Twin cards which are only encountered together.

Here an example with the cards.

Drawing from a normal card deck I have used for this, for my four players I draw king of spades (Bandit Captain), 8 of Spades (Ankheg Lurker) 7 Clubs (Displacer Beast twin) King of Hearts (4 Bandits)

To build the encounter I would put the Lurker Ankheg to the side as it will trespass on the battle later, and the Displacer Beast back in the deck as its twin was not drawn. Normally I would pick between the two other cards for the encounter, but they are both part of the Bandit Card group so instead I use them together for the encounter.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Here an example with the cards.

Drawing from a normal card deck I have used for this, for my four players I draw king of spades (Bandit Captain), 8 of Spades (Ankheg Lurker) 7 Clubs (Displacer Beast twin) King of Hearts (4 Bandits)

To build the encounter I would put the Lurker Ankheg to the side as it will trespass on the battle later, and the Displacer Beast back in the deck as its twin was not drawn. Normally I would pick between the two other cards for the encounter, but they are both part of the Bandit Card group so instead I use them together for the encounter.
I like it. Does it give robust examples, or.just the format?

Libertad

Hero
The last two chapters sound like they have general-purpose advice for when the Deck inevitably derails a campaign. Am I getting that right?

Remove ads