• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Book spoilers in the Dresden Files TV?

Michael Tree

First Post
Does the TV show of the Dresden Files have spoilers for the books? I'm interested in watching the show, but I'm only on book 3 of the series, and I don't want to hear about the later books until I read them.

S. Baldrick

Explorer
So far, there has been very little from the books in the series. Some characters have the same names but that is where the similarity ends sadly.

In other words, you can watch the show without fear of having the books spoiled for you.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Agreed. The TV show has some character similarities, but the plots and details so far have not mirrored the books very closely.

Darth K'Trava

First Post
The next episode, Storm Front, is supposed to be based on the book of the same name. They had to redo that one, why it wasn't the actual pilot shown.

Various changes were made to make it look better on tv. It wasn't feasible, for example, to use the Blue Beetle on the show because the actor, Paul Blackstone, was so tall it didn't look good visually to see him getting in and out of a beetle. And harder to film in on a tv budget where that money could be used elsewhere, like FX. They don't have the $$ of Disney to do multiple cutout beetles for filming purposes. Bob was done to make him more visual, rather than just glowing lights in a skull. The using of an actor makes him better on screen.

Acid_crash

First Post
what kind of stories have they had in the tv show so far??? I don't have cable so I have no way of watching it, but I've read all the way to book 6 (I have all 8 but am waiting till I finish the Dark Tower series than Goodkind's book series) and I gotta say the books are great reading.

Decado

First Post
I just finished the second book Fool Moon, which was very good. I had watched the episode prior to finishing the book and the episode definately gave away who the villains in the book were. However, the two plots were nowhere close to the same. I just started the third book, Grave Peril, and have received the next 4 books from the SFBC. :D

Decado

Darth K'Trava

First Post
Episodes are available for a nominal fee from Itunes.

But then I just DVR them (and wait for them to hit DVD!!) and watch them. Either that night or another night.

Wombat

First Post
So far, I have been very disappointed with the tv show. I really liked the books (at least up through book 5 -- after that, they sort of lose steam for me, albeit with a few excellent scenes). The many changes in the characters have really bothered me -- a semi-embodied Bob didn't bother me at first, but he's not snarky enough nor does he have his obsession with romance novels and visiting sororities. Murph just isn't. Harry is basically fine, although at first he felt too "psychic" (not at all a strong trait in the books) with far too little actual magic -- and his ability to work with hi tech in the first few episodes really, really annoyed me. Besides, I keep waiting for Mister to show up... ;)

I think the show is trying to figure out where it is going and how closely it is going to adhere to the books. It feels as if they are developing the writers' bible as they are going along, rather than coming up with some canon ahead of time. I'm not sure how Jim Butcher feels about the series, but so far I have been underwhelmed.

Remove ads