Books you like but get a lot of criticism or hate

DrunkonDuty

he/him
Books I like that get a lot of (probably deserved) flak: Moorcock's Eternal Champion series.

Re-read the Corum and Elric ones just last year. Still very enjoyable. Upthread someone asked "what is Corum's personality?" He's a warrior poet; with all the wangsty BS that that implies. But mostly he's a Woobie. (Check TV Tropes if you need that word defined.)

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Oh, and also I'd want to stick up for the old Star Wars EU (now called Legends I think?) but mostly I just want to sing the praises of the Thrawn Trilogy and nobody really hates on those.
This.

I really wish they'd found a way to incorporate some of the Thrawn mythos into the latest movie trilogy, and was somewhat disappointed that it didn't happen.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Maybe not criticized or hated, per se. But some of my favorite books over the past 5 years have been web serials, which are fairly difficult to offer as recommendations because the publishing format isn't that of a normal novel.

Davies

Legend
I like the works of Lin Carter. His novels are not great or even good literature, but I have never been disappointed in them as I have been by more recent authors. I think he deserves a much better posthumous literary reputation than he has.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
The McGuffey Readers.

If I had to prepare a multi-grade Reading curriculum, this is where I would start.

Remove ads