D&D 5E Boop

What is the best Chassis for a 5e Warlord class?

• Artificer

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Bard

Votes: 25 40.3%
  • Barbarian

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cleric

Votes: 8 12.9%
  • Fighter

Votes: 28 45.2%
  • Monk

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • Paladin

Votes: 11 17.7%
  • Ranger

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Rogue

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Sorcerer

• Druid

• Wizard

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Warlock

Votes: 9 14.5%

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
The bard has some healing, dice used to help allies and hurt enemies, and full spell casting to convert into other abilities as needed. There's a reason why people though it was a good chassis for the Warlord. Personally, I like the Paladin better, but that's just me.
I think the issue there is that converting spellcasting into some other resource schedule is very much a ¯\(ツ)/¯ proposition. There's just no good template of how to do that conversion.

TwoSix

Divine Smite is a good template for covering spell slots into another resource isn't it?
It's a mechanic to do it. (I personally think divine smite isn't a particularly GOOD mechanic.) You'd still need to develop a "warlord spell list", which kind of feels like it's against the concept of the warlord in the first place.

I was more saying that if you start out with a bard, and rip out all the spellcasting, I have no particular way to gauge the value of any replacement features. It would just be by feel at that point.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
I wouldn't use the bard chassis if the plan was to rip out all the spellcasting. I'd just add a mechanic to allow spell slots to fuel abilities. If you're set on a non magical warlord then Bard probably isnt a good choice. I dont have problem with a spell casting component to the build though, so I'm happy go to go that route.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
That outline is half of what I was thinking. I do think that the abilities we're talking about can be usefully compared to spells at level X for balance, so that's helpful. My preference would be to convert the spell slots into tactical points - so a first level slot equals 1, 2nd equals 2 and so on, and then attach a cost to each ability and let the Warlord decide how he wants to allocate his resources. If we take away the utility of choosing different spells, it can be replaced with choice about what abilities to use in a given encounter. So he could use the second level ability once, or a first level ability twice, or whatever. Plus, and this is big, you only have to design abilities up[ to 5th level equivalent rather than 9th, which I think is a much easier design task.

If the abilities get handed out at the same character level a new level of spells would be available it sort of balances itself.

TwoSix

One way to do it (not the only way) would be to give the Warlord an equivalent number of daily (long rest) features per day equal to the spells they would get at that level.

Then match power by looking at spells of the equivalent level.

So a 10th level bard-based Warlord would have-
4 different 'at will" abilities (cantrip equivalent)
A first level equivalent power (4x day)
A second level equivalent power (3x day)
A third level equivalent power (3x day)
A fourth level equivalent power (3x day)
A fifth level equivalent power (2x day)

What does this mean? Well, not saying that this should be the go-to example, but a lot of people use the whole "why can't a martial character jump" kind of thing.

Jump is a first level spell. So a 10th level bard-based Warlord could have a "Mighty Leap" 4 times a day.
Sure, that makes a lot of sense. I don't want to come across as it's "undoable", just that there isn't a lot of guidance within the structures of the PHB classes to do so.

Personally, I'd use spell points, divide that number by 3, and then assign it to short-rest abilities. So a 10th warlord would have 21 spell point equivalents to assign to abilities. Maybe 5 healing words (10 points), 1 haste (5 points), and 2 lesser restorations (6 points) per short rest for a healing warlord.

TwoSix

You'd probably need to divide it by more than three.

The one slight caution in doing it completely 1:1 is that, unlike spells, there is no counterspell, or concentration issues, or dispel magic, or preparation/spellbooks etc. for these types of abilities.

Would definitely need to account for that. Especially if you're converting to spell points.
Sure, but by the same token, these are fixed abilities, not spell slots. A spell slot can be used for multiple useful abilities depending on the situation. Having the option to do A+B+C is always better than just A, even if A is the most useful.

And let's face it, few groups do enough encounters to really balance out short rests versus long rests. The "2 short rests before a long rest" is a nice guidance, but doesn't really happen that much.

Depending on the ability, I also think requiring concentration on some of these is a good idea.

Remove ads