• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[BoVD] So... did the sky fall?

Fenes 2

First Post
Amazon finally got my copy on the way last week... hope it makes it to my door this week, so that I can judge for myself how vile it really is.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Re

I didn't really read much about the BoVD. I read the adventure in Dungeon Magazine made to use Vile content, and it made me not want to buy the book.

I wouldn't mind having stats for the Demon Lords and such, but I don't want to have to buy a book filled with stuff that should be left up to the DM. There is no reason whatsoever to have created a BoVD. There was no need to outline drug use and other negatives.

Personally, I didn't quite see the need for it. And vile damage, c'mon now, what the heck is vile damage? All I know is I will not be buying this book, and I hope they release the stats on demon lords and such in some kind of different edition without all the crap on drugs, prostitution, and other such vile things found in society.

I don't want all the extra rubbish. I just want my demon and devil lords.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Olive said:
look at me, i'm turning into the nightfall of the BoVD... sigh...

Not QUITE sure how to take that, but since I prefer to think good of people (most of the time), I'll take it as a compliment and say thanks! :)

Zelda Themelin

First Post
I actually wondered what made many think there would be anything actually "taboo" in BoVD. It's book by WotC after all.

Anything vile I could predict was likelity of worse art WotC usually lets out in a book stamped with too high price tag.

IMO Dragon 300 actual sealed contect remained me more about Aliens vr. Predator computer game stuff translated into D&D spells (face hugger etc.) including some mild remnants of Clive Barker short story elements. Nothing unusually vile or creepy, that is.

BoVD really is computer game inspired book to creating sexless comic villains including few non-epicly statted demon/devil lords.

Oh, and "evil spells" come with extra price tag attached. Most of them are not good enough compared to existing spells to deserve such additional cost. Few interesting feats and stuff, still I think my villains are better off without extra rules from this book.

herald

First Post
I loved the book. And I will be putting it into my games.

I "LOVE" the idea of vile damage. Great mechanic. Possesion, rules rock too.

I love the rules concepts. I would personally like to see a "Good" and "Neutral" book too.

Fenes 2

First Post
Re: Re

Celtavian said:
I wouldn't mind having stats for the Demon Lords and such, but I don't want to have to buy a book filled with stuff that should be left up to the DM. There is no reason whatsoever to have created a BoVD. There was no need to outline drug use and other negatives.

Personally, I didn't quite see the need for it. And vile damage, c'mon now, what the heck is vile damage? All I know is I will not be buying this book, and I hope they release the stats on demon lords and such in some kind of different edition without all the crap on drugs, prostitution, and other such vile things found in society.

I don't want all the extra rubbish. I just want my demon and devil lords.

Well, one of my players has a drug-addicted assassin in my game, so those rules hopefully will come in handy, even if only to provide ideas how to handle it. As far as I am concerned, I'd rather have a book that covers the "vile things found in society" for a fantasy society than another MM: The Lower Planes.

(As an aside, the evil of drug use and prostitution pales compared to what Demons and Devils do IMC - those fiends are evil incarnate, not evil humans.)

Sure I can just DM the vile things without rules, but having rules makes it a wee bit easier to balance, and saves time, and provides me with a rationale for the vile villains' actions. Having, f.e., a sacrifice giving game advantages other than "Will release a great evil in this world, which will reward me then", will also let me use foershadowing better (f.e. "Those guys were unnaturally resistant for bandits...")

Psion

Adventurer

Psion, does that mean you're going to review it?

Yes, I plan on reviewing it. Here nonetheless as though D20 Weekly gets most of my WotC harback reviews, I have some things to say about BoVD that I don't think will pass muster with the editor over there.

That said, I give gratis product priority here, and I have 4 or 5 products I have to review first (including 2 scarred lands products), AND I am going on business travel, so it might be a few weeks.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Re

I just hope the game store owners are making sure they do not sell this to minors. We may not be hearing a bunch of negative talk about the book just yet, but if some kids start roleplaying some really strange crap like drug addicts or having orgies during the game, then we will hear about it.

P.S.: I am a pretty open-minded person and I wouldn't want my children to have access to this book. It represents ideas that young people really don't need to explore until they have more life experience.

Last edited:

starkad

First Post
There is a large gaming store near me.. Probably the biggest I have personally seen.

They went through 10 copies the first week. They reordered 10 and sold them within 5 days.. They've since ordered 20 more, and sold 12 of them.

I'd say that's pretty dang good.

The book made me laugh more than cringe. There's soem stuff I would never use in my game, but it's interesting to note they have rules for it. I have one PC that is utterly obsessed with playing unique evil characters.

It fits him decently.

Olive

Explorer
Re: Re

Celtavian said:

ok... vile damage is damage from the corruption of evil powers... which i think is acool idea, and represents the power that evil has in a fantasy world...

second: there IS NO PROSTITUTION outside of a prostitution themed adventure in Dungeon. none in the book. none. there is as muh drug description in lords of darkness, and i never heard of anyone not buying that book because of the drug rules i it.

you can hope all you like, but i honestly cant see them rereleasing the archfiend stats, and they wouldn't be as good anyway, as the coolness of them is that they're not just stats. they're servants and descpritions of what the fiends want, making them actually useful in an on going campaign, unlike the deity stats in D&Dg

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads