Boxed Text

aco175

Legend
I always liked boxed text, even if I do not need it to run the adventure. As a DM, I want to know what to express to the players whom are not privy to the module. I tend to use miniatures when we play and the players can see the size and shape of the room, but by reading the description I can point out on the board anything in the description I'm reading that may look funny or not be clear.

ScaleyBob

Explorer
I find when reading boxed text, it's vitally important to:

-Read it in a slightly rushed monotone, quite different from your normal GMs voice.

-Accidentally skip words, or even whole lines

-Go back over what you've just said, and then read it all out again

-Skip forward from the box and read out parts of the room description, including things the players shouldn't know.

-Not let the Players interrupt you while you're reading it out, and starting back from the beginning if they do.

-If there's a scripted part between two NPCs get their names (or voices) mixed up so no-one has any idea who has said what.

Sadly I've been in games, and run games where all of these have happened. I don't mind Boxed Text, but as GM of a certain age it does often come with a certain amount of baggage applied.

Remove ads