D&D 3E/3.5 Brainstorming an oddball character. (Again? Again.)

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Crap!

Just reread the multiheaded creature template...M sized creatures can only have up to 1 additional head. I was really hoping to make this guy 3 headed. I can get the total heads up to 3 if and only if he’s size L or larger.

Is there a way to increase a creature’s size up 1 step permanently?
Actually, there's a nice little work-around for this. See, if you're working off of the Multiheaded template from Savage Species (affiliate link) then the number of heads you can add is limited by the creature's size.

But what most people don't know is that an earlier version of that template was posted on the WotC website, under their "Monster Mayhem" series of articles, before it came out in that book. And that version of the template has no size-based restriction on the number of heads added (in fact, the only limit the template makes is that it can't add more than seven heads altogether).

So use that template as a way to get ahead! :p

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Actually, there's a nice little work-around for this. See, if you're working off of the Multiheaded template from Savage Species (affiliate link) then the number of heads you can add is limited by the creature's size.

But what most people don't know is that an earlier version of that template was posted on the WotC website, under their "Monster Mayhem" series of articles, before it came out in that book. And that version of the template has no size-based restriction on the number of heads added (in fact, the only limit the template makes is that it can't add more than seven heads altogether).

So use that template as a way to get ahead! :p
I appreciate that! Thanks for the link.

However, I’d prefer to go with the latest version of the mechanics around. I also want to avoid using a source that could disappear at any time.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I'd say use the Paladin from Pathfinder with Champion alignment rules from Pathfinder 2nd Edition, but I'm crazy like that.
While I do have that, I’m trying to stay within the WotCverse of products. (I mean, if I were DMing this PC, I’d allow the use of Green Ronin’s Book of the Righteous and other sources, but I’m not.)

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Well, technically that source already disappeared a little while ago, which is why that link uses the Wayback Machine. That said, if you want to increase the character's size, what about the half-minotaur or half-ogre templates from the "Strange Bedfellows" article in Dragon #313? Both increase the creature's size by one category, and don't change the base creature's type.

The only sticking point is that both can only be added to a giant, humanoid, or monstrous humanoid.

Also, if you want to go with a chaotic paladin, try the paladin of freedom from Unearthed Arcana (affiliate link).

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I was reading up on Samoyeds and found out they’re not just vacuous cuties- they’re actually smarter than average dogs. So my aversion to Int-based casters is off base.

Still, I want to avoid simply conforming to my super smart martial caster build predilections, so I don’t want this guy to be “Wiley Coyote, Super Genius” (in actuality or comedically) if I can avoid it.

My “head cannon” art for this fella- as yet unrealized- is a 3-headed puffball dog-man wearin a blue-enameled breastplate, probably with a kilt.*

Haven’t thought too much about weaponry, but I want it to be within the “knightly” lines. Nothing exclusively 2 handed, though.

* yes, it would probably be easier to do this PC as an albino gnoll than an anthro dog, but this isn’t about “easy”.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Well, technically that source already disappeared a little while ago, which is why that link uses the Wayback Machine. That said, if you want to increase the character's size, what about the half-minotaur or half-ogre templates from the "Strange Bedfellows" article in Dragon #313? Both increase the creature's size by one category, and don't change the base creature's type.

The only sticking point is that both can only be added to a giant, humanoid, or monstrous humanoid.

Also, if you want to go with a chaotic paladin, try the paladin of freedom from Unearthed Arcana (affiliate link).
That template probably wouldn’t work for me, but I’ll have to crack open my UA to look at the PoF. Thanks! That wasn’t even on my radar.

Could be a good one to MC with for this build.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
He needs to have access to the spell, Blink, obviously. All other spells, powers, incantations, etc. are optional.

isn’t there some feat that lets you learn a single spell or some such?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Some more clarity...

Given the Samoyed’s origins on northeastern Europe, I’m going slightly more “Russian”. So perhaps instead of a kilt, there will be brightly colored baggy pantaloons.

Scimitars become the one-handed blade of choice- closest thing in the fame to the slightly curved cutlass/saber weapons of the region. Maybe a Morningstar and some kind of axe- throwing? battleaxe?- will be added to the list.

Armor will be a breastplate for sure, in the Russian zertsalo/“mirror armor” style.
1611052916279.jpeg

1611052758533.jpeg

1611053197026.jpeg

Last edited:

Remove ads