D&D 3E/3.5 Brainstorming an oddball character. (Again? Again.)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Yeah...that‘s sounding like a plan. A single-classed PC whose main “fantastic” abilities are not spells, but inherent abilities. It goes against a lot of my usual design choices.

Right now, the frontrunner classes are (in no particular order):

Fighter- weapon proficiencies, armor proficiencies, and bonus feats galore. All the bonus feats are martial.
Paladin of Freedom- similar weapon & armor, feats replaced by powers giving a powerful do-gooder vibe. LoH, Turning & divine spells. Might be worth taking (original) Sacred healing feat.
Marshal- again, the right weapon & armor options. Auras provide some nifty party boosts. Dragon Magic expands their Aura options to include Draconic Auras, but as a whole, only a few of the Auras are worthwhile. Possibly the simplest build- no spells, no bonus feats, no feats really boost Marshal abilities. Only real question would involves the class ACF (Adrenaline Boost (PHB 2, p 49): Can't grant move actions, instead grant temporary hitpoints.)
Battle Sorcerer- Obviously the superior spellcaster, but I‘d have to burn feats to get medium armor proficiency and to be able to cast in it. Still, the spells would fill gaps in the character’s suite of powers. Reserve feats might work. Least inherently “knightly” of the 4, but given the PC’s species & templates, that’s a quibble.

Regardless of class, still going 2WF with scimitars or axes OR with shield to bash with. Armor will be Breastplate.

Beyond that, Fey & Metabreath weapon feats doubling down on the Hengeyokai fey origins and aspects of the Multiheaded & cryo templates. Maybe Knowledge devotion. Maybe feats that give SLAs.

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
It does not look like the breath weapon feats in the Draconomicon are listed as fighter bonus feats so consider that for what levels you want them to come into play for you versus the two-weapon fighting/shield bashing. Taking fighter as the class your initial bonus feats could go to TWF/bashing while your normal ones go to other stuff.

Are Hengeyokai out of Oriental Adventures or a 3.5 supplement?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Hengeyokai are from OA, and were revised for 3.5Ed to remove the +1LA because the shapeshifter subtype was nerfed a little.

The baseline 2WF & Combat Expertise stuff is already handled by the Multiheaded template. As a 2-headed creature, Goodboi would have:

+2LA; +2 HD (including boosted skill points); +1 bite, gore or tongue att;;+1NAC; 90’ Darkvision; +2 Con; +2 Listen, Search, Spot; free Superior 2WF feat; free Improved Initiative feat; free Combat Reflexes feat. Favored class: Ftr

Note: before posting that quote, I had forgotten that the template added Ftr as a favored class. That might come in handy if I decided to revert to form and do some minor multiclassing with a dip, or if I used the Bloodline Trait rules from Unearthed Arcana.

Fey Bloodline Traits
Character
Level
MinorIntermediateMajor
1st+2 on Hide checks
2nd+2 on Hide checksIron Will
3rdCharisma +1
4th+2 on Hide checksIron WillCharm person 1/day (Sp)
5thFey affinity +21
6thCharisma +1Low-light vision
7th+2 on Move Silently checks
8thIron WillCharm person 1/day (Sp)Alertness
9thDexterity +1
10thFey affinity +21Speak with animals 1/day (Sp)
11thFey affinity +41
12thCharisma +1Low-light visionInvisibility 1/day (Sp)
13th+2 on Perform checks
14th+2 on Move Silently checksDamage reduction 1/cold iron
15thWisdom +1
16thCharm person 1/day (Sp)AlertnessDeep slumber 1/day (Sp)
17thFey affinity +61
18thDexterity +1Speak with plants 1/day (Sp)
19th+2 on Bluff checks
20thFey affinity +21Speak with animals 1/day (Sp)Damage reduction 5/cold iron

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Fey Bloodline Traits are officially binned. The things you give up for the progression makes for too fragile a PC. I’m not interested in a “glass cannon” build (this time), and the Fey bloodline doesn’t actually have a lot of benefit as compared to the sacrifice.

Also, actually found some feats that augment Aura classes that could apply to this PC. But I’m not sure that any besides Dilate Aura (doubles the radius) would be truly worth it.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Fiendish Codex 2 has Dilate Aura which doubles your aura for Cha mod rounds, usable 1/encounter. That one doesn’t limit aura types.

Draconic Aura adds an additional known Draconic aura from p86 of Dragon Magic to an aura-using class- which for purposes of those particular Auras, means Marshal and Dragon Shaman. (Marshals are allowed to take from the p86 list as a Major Aura, but not from the Dragon Shaman’s list.) Since the modifier for any of them is a static +1, I’m not sure burning a feat to add a known Aura to the character list would be worth it.

Double Draconic Aura lets you manifest 2 Draconic Auras (from that same limited list) simultaneously. But since, as noted, it only applies to Draconic Auras, a Marshal could only use this if he had taken 2 Draconic auras as Major Auras.

Then there’s a few that apply only to Psionic aura characters or those with particular class features (like Turn, Stances, or Aura of Courage), or with certain Feat trees (Devilish)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
If I go with a Fighter build, I’m thinking of 2 different ways I could “double down” on this PC’s 2-headed nature and the bonus feats that go with the template with using some of the bonus Fighter feats.

Option 1
Monkey Grip: Since this PC has no real off-hand, I’m thinking he could dual-wield oversized weapons. Is my interpretation correct? If so, that would be 1d8 18-20/x2 for the scimitars, or 2d6 x3 for the battleaxes.

Option 2
Exotic One-Handed Melee Weapon: lots of options exist, of course, but I want to stick to something one handed (of course) and probably not a bastard sword (everyone’s darling) or too strongly associated with a particular race or the like. The Dwarven Waraxe woud maaaaybe be OK. Dire Pick is an option, as is the Hydraflail.* Does anyone else have suggestions?

* Which has the bonus of being a visual pun.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Tangent: I realized I missed an opportunity, which I’m going to rectify.

I‘m still making this PC, but I’m also going to make a similar PC with different details.

Race: Lupin
Class: Ranger; FE: Lycanthropes
Name: MOON-MOON

Remove ads