• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bree Yark!

SpiderMonkey

Explorer
Korgoth said:
Who' you callin' a rube?

Er...no rubes here...just surrendering. That's all. Yessir. Would you mind closing your eyes for a moment and ignore the footfalls you may be hearing in the next few rounds?

(Heh heh. Stupid rubes...)

T. Foster

First Post
Gygax's explanation that the true meaning of Bree-Yark is "hey, Rube!" never made a lick of sense to me as a kid reading this module (I mean, I was able to gather from context that the goblins who said it were calling for backup, but had no idea what that phrase itself was supposed to mean). It wasn't until very recently (within the last year) that I found out that "hey, Rube!" is itself a code-phrase, coming from 19th century circus slang. Was this phrase common-knowledge to people of older generations (Gygax is, after all, 36 years older than me)?

T. Foster said:
Gygax's explanation that the true meaning of Bree-Yark is "hey, Rube!" never made a lick of sense to me as a kid reading this module (I mean, I was able to gather from context that the goblins who said it were calling for backup, but had no idea what that phrase itself was supposed to mean). It wasn't until very recently (within the last year) that I found out that "hey, Rube!" is itself a code-phrase, coming from 19th century circus slang. Was this phrase common-knowledge to people of older generations (Gygax is, after all, 36 years older than me)?

I first read the module in my teens, back in the 90s and I knew what "rube" meant.

Goblyn

Explorer
Dykstrav said:
Ah, but your information is hopelessly dated. These days, kobolds speak draconic. ;)

I think I am one of those who are unable to confidently tell you if 'Bree-Yark' is draconic or not.

Really.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads