• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bree Yark!

Dykstrav

Adventurer
I only played that adventure once in 1990 or so, and all those critters blended together in the tattered annals of my memory... My bad. :) I stand corrected.

Cam Banks

Adventurer
Nathan P. Mahney said:
Probably - it got used quite a bit in early Marvel superhero comics from the 1960s, which were often set in and around circuses.

This predates the Chris Claremont era of X-Men and other titles, in which every single damn character calls another person "bunkie" to the point that I wished Chris Claremont would die.

Oh, and to stay on topic: Fage the Kexy.

Cheers,
Cam

Prince Atom

Explorer
There's an issue from the early Chris Claremont X-Men days, in which the phrase shows up; it is used to summon help from other carnies. That was in the mid to late 70s.

I've never heard it used in any other media, myself. Just Marvel comics and Keep on the Borderlands.

I'm still not quite clear on what exactly a "rube" is, but then I haven't exactly gone looking.

TWK

Laman Stahros

First Post
The Whiner Knight said:
There's an issue from the early Chris Claremont X-Men days, in which the phrase shows up; it is used to summon help from other carnies. That was in the mid to late 70s.

I've never heard it used in any other media, myself. Just Marvel comics and Keep on the Borderlands.

I'm still not quite clear on what exactly a "rube" is, but then I haven't exactly gone looking.

TWK
I remember (barely) a John Wayne movie set in a carnival where it is used. That was were I learned what the term was for.

Cam Banks

Adventurer
Laman Stahros said:
I remember (barely) a John Wayne movie set in a carnival where it is used. That was were I learned what the term was for.

Hannibal Lecter uses it when mocking Clarice Starling's background, too.

Cheers,
Cam

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads