• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bree Yark!

Quasqueton

First Post
The “rube” in “Hey Rube!” was a name – short for Reuben.

So even if you knew what “rube” meant, you didn’t necessarily know what “Hey Rube!” meant. (Or you thought it mean, “Hey, you fool!” In which case, you were wrong.)

That note in KotB made no sense to me for many years, and I knew what a rube was.

Quasqueton

T. Foster

First Post
Quasqueton said:
The “rube” in “Hey Rube!” was a name – short for Reuben.

So even if you knew what “rube” meant, you didn’t necessarily know what “Hey Rube!” meant. (Or you thought it mean, “Hey, you fool!” In which case, you were wrong.)

That note in KotB made no sense to me for many years, and I knew what a rube was.

Quasqueton
What he said. I understood what a "rube" is, but couldn't figure out what the connection was between the goblins seemingly insulting/taunting the PCs (which they wouldn't understand anyway -- the players are either going to think the phrase means "we surrender" or have no idea what it means at all) and calling for reinforcements.

"Hey, Rube!" isn't a taunt or insult, it's a cant phrase meaning "there's trouble over here -- come help!" (which all the circus-folk will understand and respond to, but the straights/squares won't -- they'll just think some carny is calling out to his friend Reuben). I didn't realize this as a kid (or even as an adult, until quite recently) because while this phrase and its meaning were apparently at least somewhat common knowledge in the 50s-60s, it had fallen completely out of use by the 80s, when I encountered it in this module.

Doghead Thirteen said:
Expect anyone who was a D&D player 'back in the day' to go ballistic.

I *was* a D&D player back in the day. Started with OD&D, then AD&D 1st, then 2nd, then on to 3E and 3.5.

I'm not sure how my players will react when they first hear the names. I'm pretty sure at least one will get the reference (I've been gaming with him for 18+ years); not sure about the others.

paradox42

First Post
Fifth Element said:
Would you like to come back to my place, bouncy bouncy.

Next!

(Hint: nipples are involved)
My hovercRRAAft... is full of eeels. My hovercrraft... is full of eels.

The line the quote refers to may not be Grandma-friendly- though it's borderline at worst.

Ranes

Adventurer
Fifth Element said:
Would you like to come back to my place, bouncy bouncy.

Next!

(Hint: nipples are involved)

Not yet.

Ah, I will not by this tobacconist's. It is scratched.

Back on topic... Er, next!

Pickaxe

Explorer
Fifth Element said:
The campaign I'm preparing has a BBEG wizard named Bargle and his goblin lieutenant, Bree Yark. I guess his mother was rather unkind.

No more so than one who named her son....Richard.

--Axe

Remove ads