Broad Bladed Short Sword Question

Yeoman

First Post
If you use two broad bladed short swords and fight defensively, would you get a +4 dodge bonus or just +2? I believe it is +2, but no one in my group is certain. Anyone know the official answer or have a good guess?

Shuffle said:
Out of curiosity, why would broad bladed swords increase your defense?

They're an exotic weapon from Complete Adventurer which allow you to apply the benefits of shortsword-related feats (like Weapon Focus, etc.). When wielding one, any time you Fight Defensively or Combat Expertise for 2 or more points, you get an additional +2 Dodge bonus to AC.

If you're dual-wielding them, you get a +4, I think. I'd have to check the rules when I get home, but that's my initial guess.

EDIT, To Add:

The reason I say +4 is as follows:

Let's say you have a quickblade rapier in each hand. You decide to disarm with your right hand. You get +2 on the opposed roll. Now, you elect to disarm with the left. You get a +2 on the opposed roll for that one, as well.

So, when you take a penalty on your attack rolls - via Combat Expertise or Fighting Defensively - you look at your right hand. Is that a broad-bladed shortsword? You get a +2 Dodge bonus to AC. Look at your left hand? Is that a broad-bladed shortsword? You get a +2 Dodge bonus to AC.

Dodge bonuses to AC stack.

Last edited:

Yeoman

First Post
That's what I thought it might be since they are dodge bonuses, but we tend to err on the side of caution just in case.

Thanks for the independent confirmation.

Yeoman

First Post
Crothian said:
I agree, it would be interesting to make a really defesive two weapon fighter this way.

That's the path I was aiming for, every little bit to raise my cowardly pc's armor class will help.

Yeoman

First Post
Well I meant the extra +2. But it adds up quick when fighting defensively, +4 from the swords, +3 from fighting defensively, +4 from Improved Two Weapon Defense, any bonus I shift over through the defending property, +1 from dodge (vs. 1 opponent), +1 from Tempest Defense, and +1 from the Cautious trait. My new character is off to a pretty strong start just by using the defensive fighting option. Nice start for a small penalty to hit. And with the Defensive Fighter feat, the penalty is only -2 instead of -4 when fighting defensively. He's definitely looking more fun to play every minute. Nice change of pace.

Upon further reading, I'm not so sure I was right above. Here's the relevant text:

Complete Adventurer said:
If you are proficient with the broadblade short sword and you fight defensively or employ the total defense combat maneuver, you gain a +2 dodge bonus to AC for the rest of the round in addition to the normal AC bonus from the combat maneuver (+2 for fighting defensively or +4 for total defense). This bonus also applies if you are proficient with the weapon, have the Combat Expertise feat, and shioft at least 2 points of your attack bonus to AC for the round. Because of its benefit when fighting defensively, the broadblade shortsword is a popular off-hand weapon.

I'm no longer quite as certain as I was before.

EDIT: For an additional kick to the above, emply Combat Expertise as well. :D

Yeoman

First Post
Patryn of Elvenshae said:
Upon further reading, I'm not so sure I was right above. Here's the relevant text:

I'm no longer quite as certain as I was before.

EDIT: For an additional kick to the above, emply Combat Expertise as well. :D
He ran out of feats before it came up. :D
The part you highlighted was the part that was sticking me and my group. They were leaning towards +4, while I was being cautious and leaning to +2. Either way my concept is still solid, but an extra +2 never hurts. :)

Remove ads