• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Broad Bladed Short Sword Question

Starglim

Explorer
Patryn of Elvenshae said:
Upon further reading, I'm not so sure I was right above. Here's the relevant text:

I'm no longer quite as certain as I was before.

EDIT: For an additional kick to the above, emply Combat Expertise as well. :D

Based on the text, I'd say a +2 dodge bonus if you are proficient and fight defensively, or if you use Combat Expertise, or both, regardless of how many you wield. It's the same single bonus based on proficiency that switches on in either of the stated conditions, so the question of stacking does not arise.

It would be a lot clearer and more sensible if the weapon provided a shield bonus.

Yeoman

First Post
Starglim said:
Based on the text, I'd say a +2 dodge bonus if you are proficient and fight defensively, or if you use Combat Expertise, or both, regardless of how many you wield. It's the same single bonus based on proficiency that switches on in either of the stated conditions, so the question of stacking does not arise.

It would be a lot clearer and more sensible if the weapon provided a shield bonus.
But a shield bonus wouldn't stack with two weapon defense, and I think that was the underlying logic there.

I'm still leaning towards only one bonus, and not one per sword. Even if they allow two, if it isn't technically right, it wouldn't sit right with me. I'm weird that way.

Last edited:

Ycore Rixle

First Post
Complete Adventurer said:
If you are proficient with the broadblade short sword and you fight defensively or employ the total defense combat maneuver, you gain a +2 dodge bonus to AC for the rest of the round in addition to the normal AC bonus from the combat maneuver (+2 for fighting defensively or +4 for total defense).

This is actually a poorly written or edited (or both) rule.

Going by the letter of the rule, rather than the spirit, you don't need to actually wield the broadblade short sword in order to gain the bonus. All you have to do is be proficient with it and fight defensively.

In other words, if you're fighting defensively with a greatsword and are proficient with the broadblade short sword, you still gain the bonus even though your broadblade sword is hanging on the wall over your mantle back in Restenford. I assume that if the rule were clearer, the answer to this question would be easier to determine.

rbingham2000

Explorer
Yeoman said:
If you use two broad bladed short swords and fight defensively, would you get a +4 dodge bonus or just +2? I believe it is +2, but no one in my group is certain. Anyone know the official answer or have a good guess?
Since I don't have Complete Adventurer, I'm assuming a "broad bladed short sword" is a short sword that deals slashing damage instead of piercing?

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
rbingham2000 said:
Since I don't have Complete Adventurer, I'm assuming a "broad bladed short sword" is a short sword that deals slashing damage instead of piercing?
It's mechanically identical to a short sword; it just has an additional bonus.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
Ycore Rixle said:
This is actually a poorly written or edited (or both) rule.

Going by the letter of the rule, rather than the spirit, you don't need to actually wield the broadblade short sword in order to gain the bonus. All you have to do is be proficient with it and fight defensively.

In other words, if you're fighting defensively with a greatsword and are proficient with the broadblade short sword, you still gain the bonus even though your broadblade sword is hanging on the wall over your mantle back in Restenford. I assume that if the rule were clearer, the answer to this question would be easier to determine.
Geez! I'm glad I'm not the only person who thought that. This is one ability I have to keep away from my rules-lawyer players! ;) Seriously: I think the intent is that you would get one bonus. It is frustrating that they made it a dodge bonus, because it opens the door to the issue of stacking in the first place. I think if you use the rule as it's written it's only +2, but then it's also +2 when you get proficiency regardless of whether you use the weapon or not...:\

--Steve

Ferrix

Explorer
By the rules dodge bonuses stack and it doesn't say that you would get it only once, thus I'd be pretty hard pressed to rule in any other direction. So, one gives a +2 dodge bonus, two give a +4 dodge bonus, oh horrors the brokenness! Sorry, just think it's amusing that people would have a problem with it.

And yes it can make a really fun character.

Remove ads