• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Broad Bladed Short Sword Question

Sejs

First Post
Maybe next time I try it, I'll use a real one. Right now I've got a buckler for the fortification properties only. Good tradeoff for -1 to hit.

You could also put that same Fortification on a pair of Bracers of Armor +1 and eliminate the -1 to hit.

Krafen

First Post
Sejs said:
You could also put that same Fortification on a pair of Bracers of Armor +1 and eliminate the -1 to hit.

Bracers of Armor +1 are a wondrous item, not armor. They do not, therefore, qualify for the Fortification enhancement.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Krafen said:
Bracers of Armor +1 are a wondrous item, not armor. They do not, therefore, qualify for the Fortification enhancement.

Arms and Equipment Guide explicitly allows it, if that book is used in the game.

-Hyp.

Numenorean

First Post
Shuffle said:
Out of curiosity, why would broad bladed swords increase your defense?

This question wasn't answered. So its an exotic weapon ... and?

I mean how broad are we talking? Do they look like fans or something? LOL.

I don't see how a shortsword, or dual wielding two of them would give you a dodge bonus. I can see if you take two weapon defense you would get that bonus ... but a +2 or additional +4 because the blade is broad on a shortsword?

I always thought most shortswords had broader blades. They are either Gladius types that slash AND pierce, or they are Lord of the Rings inspired ones that are more leaf-shaped that slash and can pierce in good situations.

But why any special shortsword would give you an increased dodge bonus is odd to me.

Maybe I'm missing something here and someone can explain it better?

Numenorean said:
Maybe I'm missing something here and someone can explain it better?

There are two reasons.

But first, the question was answered. I answered it.

Me said:
They're an exotic weapon from Complete Adventurer which allow you to apply the benefits of shortsword-related feats (like Weapon Focus, etc.). When wielding one, any time you Fight Defensively or Combat Expertise for 2 or more points, you get an additional +2 Dodge bonus to AC.

That being said:

Reason Number 1: Broad-bladed shortswords are specifically made to be ideal off-hand parrying devices. Anyone can learn to more effectively parry with just about any weapon (c.f. the Combat Expertise feat) and just about any off-hand weapon (c.f. the Two-Weapon Defense feat). Some weapons, however, are just better made for this purpose. Thus, anyone fighting with such a weapon finds parries easier to make, blocks easier to interpose, etc. The broadbladed shortsword is such a weapon, once you learn its intricacies. It has oversized and strengthened quillons and a reinforced blade, such that the balance is markedly different from a normal shortsword. These features, however, make it an excellent defensive weapon. In the hands of a skilled wielder, the shortsword is almost as good as - and, sometimes, better than - a shield.

Reason Number 2: It's an interesting mechanic. Don't think too terribly hard about it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads