D&D 5E Bruenor in Out of the Abyss?

galneweinhaw

First Post
Hello, I've been out of D&D for several years and I'm just setting up the Out of the Abyss campaign to give 5e a go for the first time. It appears that Bruenor Battlehammer is king of Gauntlgrym and plays a significant part. However, he died there while freeing it in Salvatore's Book Gauntlgrym.

My pal Google hasn't been much help in explaining this as every write up about Bruenor ends his story there.

What am I missing? Did they just ignore this death when making this adventure? Is he back? Is this his heir?

Klaudius Rex

Explorer
Hello, I've been out of D&D for several years and I'm just setting up the Out of the Abyss campaign to give 5e a go for the first time. It appears that Bruenor Battlehammer is king of Gauntlgrym and plays a significant part. However, he died there while freeing it in Salvatore's Book Gauntlgrym.

My pal Google hasn't been much help in explaining this as every write up about Bruenor ends his story there.

What am I missing? Did they just ignore this death when making this adventure? Is he back? Is this his heir?

He was actually reincarnated as the dwarf Reginald Roundshield in the book, The Companions by RA Salvatorre (2013)
i didn't read the book myself, I just discovered that accidentally some time ago on Forgotten Realms Wiki

Mirtek

Hero
Well, if you're just at Gauntlgrymm you're nine Drizzt novels behind. Bruenor gets reincarnated 4 novels after Gauntlgrym in The Companions

Clumsybob

First Post
All the companions were reincarnated by Mieleki and when reaching adulthood took back their old lives

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CapnZapp

Legend
Just because the timeline has been advanced a century or so per edition doesn't mean WotC accepts that their superstar characters just die off of old age.

They'll say "because magic". I say "because money".

UnknownDyson

Explorer
Yeah.....going the comic book death route is never a good idea, imo. When death is meaningless it becomes very hard to break suspension of disbelief.

Yeah, I had to do some research on this as well. I hadn’t really followed those characters in decades, and was trying to figure out why Bruenor wasn’t an old dwarf by now, what with 100+ years it's been since that era.

I get the reasons for keeping popular characters evergreen, but it can be jarring. In comics, I respect that they let Judge Dredd age in real time (and up until a few years ago, John Constantine as well).

Remove ads