D&D General Build the "Definitive Pantheon"

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
could they just change the name then?
Why though? Set and Seth are two separate gods, even the names, though similar, are different. If you're spelling the Egyptian god's name as Set then you're missing a whole letter off his name.

I mean, they could change it but I think a good reason to keep it Set is that it is familiar (though perhaps to a shrinking audience, how many of the younger generations are ready Conan stories). You hear Set and know it's the evil snake god.

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
Why though? Set and Seth are two separate gods, even the names, though similar, are different. If you're spelling the Egyptian god's name as Set then you're missing a whole letter off his name.
No? Set's the Egyptian one's name as well, both Set and Seth are acceptable interpretations of his heiroglyph, along with Sutekh

Using something else for the snake god is probably a good idea. D&D's got Zehir and tried to push that for a while, just use that as the new name

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
No? Set's the Egyptian one's name as well, both Set and Seth are acceptable interpretations of his heiroglyph, along with Sutekh

Using something else for the snake god is probably a good idea. D&D's got Zehir and tried to push that for a while, just use that as the new name
All I can say is that while I was studying Egyptian history at university, the name was Seth/Sutekh since that was how the name was actually spelt in the heiroglyphs. I still see no reason to change the name of the snake god.

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
All I can say is that while I was studying Egyptian history at university, the name was Seth/Sutekh since that was how the name was actually spelt in the heiroglyphs. I still see no reason to change the name of the snake god.
Its embedded enough in pop culture its more recognisable as the Egyptian one. A simple google of it gets you the Egyptian one well before any D&D sources.

If D&D wants things to be recognisably D&D, then they gotta be recognisably D&D. Because your average person isn't going to think "D&D snake god" when they hear Set, they're going to think "Egyptian god of the wastes"

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Its embedded enough in pop culture its more recognisable as the Egyptian one. A simple google of it gets you the Egyptian one well before any D&D sources.

If D&D wants things to be recognisably D&D, then they gotta be recognisably D&D. Because your average person isn't going to think "D&D snake god" when they hear Set, they're going to think "Egyptian god of the wastes"
In this instance though, it isn't specifically about a DnD pantheon, we've been talking about the primeval thule pantheon that another poster was pointing out that they like.

Xeviat

Dungeon Mistress, she/her
I'm sad there's only going to be 4 subclasses for Cleric and Wizard in the 2024 PHB. Since this is related to the pantheon, what other domains can you think of that feel "missing"?

Arcana Domain
Death Domain
Forge Domain
Grave Domain
Knowledge Domain
Life Domain
Light Domain
Moon Domain
Nature Domain
Order Domain
Peace Domain
Tempest Domain
Trickery Domain
Twilight Domain
War Domain

Oh, and there's Blood from the Teldori book

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
I'm sad there's only going to be 4 subclasses for Cleric and Wizard in the 2024 PHB. Since this is related to the pantheon, what other domains can you think of that feel "missing"?

Arcana Domain
Death Domain
Forge Domain
Grave Domain
Knowledge Domain
Life Domain
Light Domain
Moon Domain
Nature Domain
Order Domain
Peace Domain
Tempest Domain
Trickery Domain
Twilight Domain
War Domain

Oh, and there's Blood from the Teldori book
Luck, Travel, and Time are all favorite domains of mine--both because they tend to let you do something pretty useful, and because they're interesting concepts with lots of potential for different deities to represent them.

Also, given we have an "Order" domain, a "Chaos" domain or some equivalent would make sense.

Aldarc

Legend
Luck, Travel, and Time are all favorite domains of mine--both because they tend to let you do something pretty useful, and because they're interesting concepts with lots of potential for different deities to represent them.

Also, given we have an "Order" domain, a "Chaos" domain or some equivalent would make sense.
WotC sometimes likes to combine concepts to create broader domains. So I could see "Travel" and "Chaos" being combined for something like "Freedom."

Xeviat

Dungeon Mistress, she/her

Gods of Luck, the crossroads/travel, and time are all common. I could see those. Freedom/Chaos too.

Remove ads