• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Building a better Monk

Paul Smart

Explorer
Hi everyone.

Lets talk Monks. What works about them? What would you change and why? How can they be improved?

I would love to hear everyones thoughts.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
They're good. They're very good.

Low levels are a problem. Monks are a hit and run class, but at low level (also when they're the squishiest) they have no means of safely hitting and running.
The also feel ASI starved, because Dexterity and Wisdom are of equal importance. More so than any other class I know with two main stats.

That's it though for me: Low level squishiness and DAD.

No the Way of the Four Elements is not an issue because it doesn't exist.

On the other hand, DEX and WIS aren't bad stats to be dual-reliant on, because they're both major save stats. Add CON to that mix, and a Monk can easily get away with the point buy spread of three 15s and three 8s. Compared to, say, the Paladin, which needs to boost STR and CHA instead, and still have some CON and not have DEX and WIS completely in the toilet.

Four Elements: I actually DO love the concept, and I wish the execution didn't suck as much as it does. The Sun Soul, narrow as its flavor is, has the right idea as far as how to go about fixing the mechanical flaws of the Four Elements, and I'd like to see Four Elements redesigned along those lines.

nswanson27

First Post
They're good. They're very good.

Low levels are a problem. Monks are a hit and run class, but at low level (also when they're the squishiest) they have no means of safely hitting and running.
The also feel ASI starved, because Dexterity and Wisdom are of equal importance. More so than any other class I know with two main stats.

That's it though for me: Low level squishiness and DAD.

No the Way of the Four Elements is not an issue because it doesn't exist.

I find that the mobility feat is so needed with monk for this reason. Otherwise, you almost need to just use a bow for tier 1.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Lets talk Monks. What works about them?
I'm sure a number of mechanics work, and they continue to deliver what their fans want.
What would you change and why?
I'd eliminate the class, it's too much questionable cultural reference and not enough actual class. It takes away from martial classes by segregating 'martial arts' in one class.
How can they be improved?
The D&D Monk is essentially a light/un-armored & unarmed martial artist - a fighter - wrapped in a lot of questionable cultural baggage left over from 70s pop culture and tainted with so-called 'orientalism.'

The 5e fighter can work with lighter armor & weapons seamlessly enough and could have been designed to work effectively with any armor/weapon mix and/or style of martial art, armed or un-armed, were it not for the Monk's niche-protection.

Last edited:

I don't see any trouble with monks. Save for the Elemental monks and we corrected that with a bonus to Ki as an Elemental Monk. The MAD requirement are a bit unfair but still not so demeaning as to not be playable. The choice is often a tough one. Raise Dex or Wis? One stat raises the bonuses to hit , dmg and AC, the other raises AC and DC of saves... As a front line assault character, the choice can become quite tough especialy if you want to have some feats.

And yet, I have had 4 players playing monks since the begining of 5ed and these four character were quite dominant on the battlefield. Nope, no problems with monks.

CTurbo

Explorer
I like the Monk class and wouldn't change much if anything. I like the Open hand Monk and think the Long death Monk is a little OP, but not game breaking. I am not familiar with the Elemental or Shadow monks.

If I had to nitpick, I would like maybe a little more ki? Maybe a 1d10 hd? uh... maybe a big two handed weapon Monk? haha jk jk

Remove ads