D&D 5E Building a better Monk

DerekSTheRed

Explorer
I played a halfling monk of 4 elements in Horde of the Dragon Queen. The character worked well although I didn't get to cast as often as I would like. I ended up using shortbow a lot which led to less martial arts bonus attacks.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World

Miladoon

First Post
Going to try this out and see how it plays.

Way of the 4 Elements Monk (3LvL):
- You learn: Control Flame, Gust, Mold Earth, and Shape Water from Elemental Evil Players Companion.
- Water Whip and Fist of Unbroken Air use a Bonus Action.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
Going to try this out and see how it plays.

Way of the 4 Elements Monk (3LvL):
- You learn: Control Flame, Gust, Mold Earth, and Shape Water from Elemental Evil Players Companion.
- Water Whip and Fist of Unbroken Air use a Bonus Action.

My own fix is just reduce all ki costs of four-element disciplines by one. But I like your idea to give the four cantrippy ones away for free, too.

Xeviat

Hero
My own fix is just reduce all ki costs of four-element disciplines by one. But I like your idea to give the four cantrippy ones away for free, too.

My issue with the Way of 4 Elements monk is to look at the Eldritch Knight, Arcane Trickster, and all of the Paladin subclasses.

Each of these learn new spells that use their spell slots (EK and AT gain spell slots, but the Paladin doesn't) on top of gaining other abilities.

All the Way of 4 Elements monk gains is new abilities that use their ki.

If Ki translates to Spell Points, which it does for the most part, then the costs are okay, but nothing else really comes with them.

The Way of Shadows monk learns some spells, and a cantrip, as one of their features, but the costs on the spells are lower than for the Way of 4 elements monk.

The Sun Soul monk learns burning hands at one of their levels, but it's a bonus action, so it has value. They also get a radiant fireball, but it's at-will at base, so it has value.

The way of 4 elements monk needs some class features. For instance, at some point they should be able to use their spells as a bonus action. This would be comparable to using Flurry of Blows and balances out at a glance.

After thinking on this thread for a while, my big issue with the Monk is how integral Stunning Strike is to their combat effectiveness. I'd rather stunning strike cost more, be more risky, but also be rewarding, and I'd like to see an Improved Flurry of Blows and some type of combat damage bonus at around level 11. The monk starts off as a very solid damage dealer, on par with the rogue, but falls behind in damage and becomes more of a controller at high levels. This is cool, and it's good to be different, but changing the role on a character without the player choosing is frustrating to me.

Xeviat

Hero
I was going to say something like "Monk should really be a Background," but it occurs to me that Hermit is probably close enough...

I think "one who has control of their ki" is conceptually different enough from the Fighter or Rogue to be it's own class. I'd even be down to add a "Martial Artist" fighting style to the warrior classes to make unarmed combat possible for them (getting something like a bonus action 1d4+Str/Dex attack IF they hit with a primary attack, like how weapon fighters in Fighting Games can throw kicks and elbows along with their weapon strikes). Fighters are mundane warriors, Monks are taping into an inner energy that Fighters have no direct control over. Maybe Barbarians are taping into it too, but in an uncontrolled sort of way.

Miladoon

First Post

The cantrips offer some much needed flavor. I predict lowering the ki cost will lengthen the adventure day. That is ok. I got used to the short rest monk, tho, so I am predicting more nova/resting by making WW and FoUA bonus actions.

mellored

Legend
Scrap them and merge then into the fighter. Which now has mystic-like structure, with martial dice that can be recharged with an action (a bonus action at 11, and 1 each round at 17).

But assuming you mean something less drastic...

Give them a minimum of 17 AC.
Reduce the ki cost of elemental maneuvers.

That's probably about it.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I'd like the Flurry of Blows to increase in number as the character gains levels. An L20 Monk should be delivering more punches than an L1 Monk. Maybe a number equal to their Tier rating?

another fun fact:

Monks make the best
Accountants.
Because they seek to keep
all things in their proper balance.

Xeviat

Hero
I'd like the Flurry of Blows to increase in number as the character gains levels. An L20 Monk should be delivering more punches than an L1 Monk. Maybe a number equal to their Tier rating?

Greater Flurry of Blows
1 Ki: gain 2 attacks
3 Ki: gain 3 attacks (level 5)
5 Ki: gain 4 attacks (level 11)
7 Ki, gain 5 attacks (level 17)

The damage potential compares pretty well against a paladin's smite, if you assume Ki translates to spell points reasonably well like I do. 7 attacks sounds like a lot, but that's basically a 5th level spell and spending an action and bonus action.

Remove ads