Dragonlance Building a Dragonlance character, according to DDB.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
As opposed to creating generic characters that have been done before?

Sad generational warring is sad.
By way of example for this phenomena, I just had a new player enter my group. The first things he asked were, "Can I play a homebrew race?" "Do you allow multiclassing?" And, "How much backstory can I give you?".

Micah Sweet

This sourcebook is Legends of the Twins, also for 3rd Edition. I actually wrote up a review of it nearly 3 years ago. In addition to presenting campaign ideas in various eras of the "main timeline," it also had alternate timelines where history proceeded differently. The one MonsterEnvy is talking about is Kingpriest Ascendant, where he succeeds in overcoming the gods of Krynn and attaining godhood himself. The other 5 timelines include the Heroes of the Lance losing, the Orders of High Sorcery helping rebuild Krynn after the Cataclysm and form a continental magocracy, one where the world is ending due to Raistlin killing off the gods, one where a supernatural winter falls over Krynn and the Knights of Takhisis create corrupted dragonlances, and one where the Second Cataclysm doesn't happen and Takhisis doesn't steal the world away. This last one, the Age of Dragons, is actually quite popular among the Dragonlance fandom. Not only does it not cheapen the original Cataclysm and War of the Lance by throwing yet another "fate of the world hangs in the balance" plot, it also is more of a "cold war" with political intrigue between the nations who settled in an uneasy peace.

My favorite Dragonlance sourcebook.

Micah Sweet

this is you picking a fight where there is none... I am asking "Is that true?" trying to open discussion not trying to counter or say you are wrong... my experience is different and neither of us have enough evidence to say what is the right one. so I am asking, IS THIS TRUE?
Fair enough. It is not universally true IME, but I have seen multiple examples of it, from different age groups. It's definitely a thing.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
is this true? as I interact more and more with younger players I find they are more likely to want to show off flaws and role play things I would have wanted to hit 'skip' on when I was a teen.
It is in my experience. Try introducing things that limit creative character building and see what happens. Pre-gens. Random stats. Random, in order stats. Restricted races, classes, subclasses, feats, spells, etc. Anything that curtails the “I’m so unique and special” vibe is anathema. Even if no one planned on using it.

It’s not about new or younger players. It’s a play culture thing. The entire OC style is based on it. And that seems like a hugely outsized part of the fan base at the moment.

take away the deathknight features and how awesome WAS Soth to begin with? I guess I never thought about mortal Soth before.
From what I recall of his backstory, his family lands were inherited by him at a young age because his father was not a knight. As a young knight, Soth became a lord and that probably gave him an ego for accomplishing so much so fast.

darjr

I crit!
It is in my experience. Try introducing things that limit creative character building and see what happens. Pre-gens. Random stats. Random, in order stats. Restricted races, classes, subclasses, feats, spells, etc. Anything that curtails the “I’m so unique and special” vibe is anathema. Even if no one planned on using it.

It’s not about new or younger players. It’s a play culture thing. The entire OC style is based on it. And that seems like a hugely outsized part of the fan base at the moment.
Where the h*ck are you playing?!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases