Dragonlance Building a Dragonlance character, according to DDB.

Remathilis

Legend
It is in my experience. Try introducing things that limit creative character building and see what happens. Pre-gens. Random stats. Random, in order stats. Restricted races, classes, subclasses, feats, spells, etc. Anything that curtails the “I’m so unique and special” vibe is anathema. Even if no one planned on using it.

It’s not about new or younger players. It’s a play culture thing. The entire OC style is based on it. And that seems like a hugely outsized part of the fan base at the moment.
Hey, while you're at it, go ahead and play my character for me too. I'll be busy looking for another DM.

I had someone tell me in one of the (now closed) Dragon Lance threads that in 1e (TBF i started in 2e) making a character from the PHB wasn't expected, you would play pregens and (I guess this is where the joke I always hear is from) if your character dies you take the same pregen and (maybe) change the name and that is your new character...

now others said that was not there experience, but the fact that that was SOMEONEs means this happens.
That was me. The modules in a couple places encouraged you to use the pregen characters and if any important character dies, you were encouraged to invoke the "obscure death" rule to replace them. Here's an example from DL2 for Laurana:
If the PCs do not enter the room before Laurana is dragged out, she is taken before Verminaard. If not rescued by the heroes, she dies an “obscure death” and will return in a
later module.

This is from DL3, with the bolded part showing how PCs were treated if not a pregen:
Because DRAGONLANCE is a story, both heroes and villains often figure prominently in later modules. If “name” characters or villains should be killed, arrange “obscure deaths” for them. Their bodies should not be found. Think up a creative explanation for their “miraculous” survival. For example, a character tumbles down a 500 foot shaft to
certain death. Several modules later, the character reappears with a story about how he landed on a ledge and was knocked out. Much later, he came to, and spent weeks recovering and escaping. Some characters can die permanently. When a “name” character no longer plays a part in the story, his death can occur. Player characters brought into this adventure from outside can be killed normally.

Online. With adults.

ETA: To be clear, this is also a large part of the reason I quit playing 5E. Too much toxic BS and entitled nonsense.
Online with adults who are friends or online with random people you've met on Reddit? I'm not sure how that's a 5E problem, I've seen people have similar arguments even back in the late 2E days because some tables used the Player's Options series of books and some didn't.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Hey, while you're at it, go ahead and play my character for me too. I'll be busy looking for another DM.
That's a pretty extreme view, IMO. Restrictions on character creation are not the same thing as "play my character for me". I certainly wouldn't let any such restrictions prevent me from playing in a game I otherwise liked, no matter the reason.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
This doesn’t actually answer the question?

“Online” is a big place.

Feel free not to answer but I was wondering where on line? Or how do you get your players?

I don’t do a ton on line but I have done some and if I encountered this as a problem I’d come to a much different diagnosis than I think you have.
Mostly Roll20.
Online with adults who are friends or online with random people you've met on Reddit? I'm not sure how that's a 5E problem, I've seen people have similar arguments even back in the late 2E days because some tables used the Player's Options series of books and some didn't.
It's a 5E problem as I don't have the same issue when playing on the same site using other game systems. Even other D&D variants it's not a problem. AD&D, OSE, DCC, 4E...no issues. Only with 5E players, in my experience.
Building original characters is toxic and entitled is not a position I ever expected to see
You still haven't. But that's a nice strawman you have there.
That's a pretty extreme view, IMO. Restrictions on character creation are not the same thing as "play my character for me". I certainly wouldn't let any such restrictions prevent me from playing in a game I otherwise liked, no matter the reason.
Right? They're literally saying that if there's any restrictions on character creation at all I might as well play the character for them. I mean thanks for proving my point for me other poster.

Remove ads