Burning Questions: Why Do DMs Limit Official WOTC Material?

In today’s Burning Question we discuss: In D&D, why do DMs limit spells, feats, races, books, etc. when they have been play-tested by Wizards of the Coast?

In today’s Burning Question we discuss: In D&D, why do DMs limit spells, feats, races, books, etc. when they have been play-tested by Wizards of the Coast?

Photo by Mark Duffel on Unsplash

The Short Answer

A DM (Dungeon Master) is well within their right to decide which options are available at their table, regardless of the source of that material. After all the DM is responsible for the integrity of the game experience and may deem some material inappropriate or unbalanced.

Digging Deeper

This may seem a bit unfair to those who have paid for a product and expect to be able to use that product anywhere they go. However, the idea of limiting the material available to players is not without precedent. Currently the D&D Adventurers’ League has a PHB +1 rule, meaning a player can use the Player’s Handbook and one other source for their character. I believe this may be increasing soon. Previous incarnations of D&D organized play would use certs and introduce content a little at a time. There is a logic to setting limits. A DM can only know so many things and it is easy to get overwhelmed with a system like D&D or Pathfinder, where the amount of add-on content is enormous and occasionally deeply themed.

Appropriate Thematics

When creating a world to play D&D in, or more specifically to run D&D (or other games) in, a DM/GM will often choose a theme for the world. It may only apply to that specific campaign or it may apply to the entire world, but the theme sets expectations for the kinds of play experiences players may run into. Many DM’s, including myself, try and create a zeitgeist, a lived in feel to the world and this may well exclude certain types of character options.

Let’s just take a few examples from the PHB itself and show how they might not be appropriate for every campaign.

• The Gnome. In general played as a cutesy and clever race, akin to dwarves but more gem obsessed. They work fine on Faerun, but if you were porting gnomes to say historical renaissance Holy Roman Empire, would they work? Maybe not. .
  • Eldritch Knight. In a world where knights do not exist or magic is inherently evil, warriors may not even think of learning sorcery.
  • Oath of the Ancients. Works great in a world where Fey and ancient forests are prominent. Works somewhat less well in desert or ice settings and campaigns.
Of course any of these could be made more thematic with a little work, but as mentioned the DM already has a lot of work to do. An overabundance of options mean keeping track of more abilities and their potential impact on both the setting and other party members. Even having the players keep track of the information themselves does not necessarily ease that burden. A more limited scope can work better for one shots and short campaigns. Where as wildly varying characters and character abilities may upset the verisimilitude of that style of game or possibly be game breaking.

Out of Balance

Of course just because WoTC tested a product does not make it right for every campaign. Balancing mechanics across an entire game can be a daunting task. Some might say an impossible one. And typically as a design team (who might have new members added) tinkers with mechanics and new options, a degree of power creep inevitably sneaks in.

Even a balanced rule can cause issues. Take for instance Healing Spirit from Xanathar’s Guide. There is a great deal of debate over whether Healing Spirit should be allowed in a game or not. Many players do not like its downsides. Certainly more than a few players enjoy the potential upside as well, but Healing Spirit is not a slam dunk or no-brainer for a DM.

In general, a DM has a high degree of latitude when creating a setting or planning a campaign. Ideally they will discuss their motives with players and come to the best compromise.

This article was contributed by Sean Hillman (SMHWorlds) as part of EN World's Columnist (ENWC) program. We are always on the lookout for freelance columnists! If you have a pitch, please contact us!

Sean Hillman

Sean Hillman

I find the question and how it is phrased interesting. In some ways it's like the question is backwards - the world, and the game at the table is the GMs, and the rules are a tool for the GM to create the game. The question should be, in my opinion is "why do players expect a GM to use all the WotC Material in their world?"

tmanbeaubien

Explorer
Anybody remember 3rd edition? Limiting player options was the only way to preserve DM sanity. 4th edition too.

As for 5th edition, here's another Xanathar's Guide example. When a player wanted to take the Ceremony spell from Xanathar's Guide to Everything, pg. 151, I kinda went nuts -
Here's the spell in D&D Beyond: https://www.dndbeyond.com/spells/ceremony
My answer to him:
* Atonement has been:
- 5th level spell in 1st edition.
- 5th level spell in 2nd edition.
- 5th level spell in 3rd edition.
Now we make it a first level spell? Hell no!

* Bless Water: See page 152 of the PHB - already allows this for one hour, 25 gp of silver and a first level slot.
* Funeral Rite - Gentle Repose does what this does, but it's a 2nd level spell, lasts 10 days.
* Coming of Age / Dedication: Just use Guidance (cantrip)
* Wedding: +2 AC because of a wedding? Uh, no

So, official doesn't mean good.

aco175

Legend
I really have not had to limit things, but my usual players kind of self-limit themselves. I look on DMsGuild and see all sorts of new races and classes. Most I find overpowered or strange to have in my world or campaign. Even some of the things Wizards put out are things I would not put in my world. The last book with Chult had races that I find not needed, but others may be cool with. Some of this I would limit if needed.

I would assume, for some DMs of a certain age, it's because they were burned by 2nd edition's supplements that were churned out with little thought to balance. (I'm looking at you "Complete Book of the Elves" specifically.) IOW, Not all official material is created equal.

Second, it is easier to say "No" up front. And then give a lenient "Yes" later to something specific from one of the banned tomes. It gives the illusion of benevolence and still keeps your game from getting out of control.

DWChancellor

Kobold Enthusiast
I always go by the "ask me outside of PHB" rule. I'll consider anything but I won't carte blanche approve something including choices from the PHB. Thematics is my first concern; brokenness second; and whether it affects other players third. Having that one player who wants to be X race with Y class and Z spells while everyone else is picking because they like the illustrations can lead to unfun games.

For example, if one player is a healer, and that's their things, and another player wants to add a whole lot of healing that's a party call. Skills is another arena where adding new content can muck up things. Lots of spells reduce what was one player's shining talent to "well, I guess I'm out of X level spells, so you're useful again."

In the end, it doesn't matter if WotC wrote it, tested it, or approved it. Does it fit in my game, does it play well with other content, and does it not mess something up for someone else. Too many options do one of these things when you start adding books.

Stef McCarter

First Post
I always go by the "ask me outside of PHB" rule. I'll consider anything but I won't carte blanche approve something including choices from the PHB. Thematics is my first concern; brokenness second; and whether it affects other players third. Having that one player who wants to be X race with Y class and Z spells while everyone else is picking because they like the illustrations can lead to unfun games.

I also have a list of classes, (sub classes) and races allowed. Makes it easier right from the start. Now everyone once in a while l can change this. I am currently running a game for my son and his kid brother and sister and they all wanted to play Tabaxi so after over looking the race I allowed it and then just added an old abandoned city to a forest that is now the Tabaxi home city.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
For me it comes down to whether a rule, variant, option, or whatever supports the play experience I'm going for which is influenced by the theme, setting, and tone. I don't really care about "balance." As long as spotlight is balanced between the players reasonably well, then I don't care about anything else in that regard. Every campaign I run is a little bit different with different rules and variants online to support the play experience I'm going for.

Eh, I guess that is what happens when reading similar threads at the same time and not paying attention to which one you are typing the answer into. At least I know I am not the only one to do that before. lol

Last edited by a moderator:

SD Houston

First Post
Just because WOTC releases things as official material doesn't make them immediately quantifiable to the game.

I sometimes limit things, depending on the setting. But I've also been known to allow almost anything if they can give me a seriously sound justification for it. And I remind them that certain races will indeed make life miserable for the party in terms of where they're allowed to go. Finding food and lodging in a civilized town or city might be all but impossible for instance, let alone entry. I also remind them that they're race, simply banding along with other races that are known opposed forces to their own races will make them immediate enemies of their own kind. The reality of the situation often results in them making more reasonable choices of their own accord.

Some of these "modifications" also come in the form of mechanics. For instance, halflings are inherently not magically inclined, so a halfling cleric or wizard, or sorcerer, by historical accounts doesn't really make sense. But a pact with an evil entity could provide the gift of sorcery, albeit at a price, which can make great fodder for adventure hooks *evil grin*

The same goes for, say, the battle-hardy dwarf, or the elven ranger. or the aasimar cleric. Similar to a race-as-class system, but with more options than would otherwise be granted

The biggest noted reason though, would be as previously mentioned, what DM has time to study every single released supplement and actually keep track of so many race, feat and magic options? Especially at the phenomenally fast rate they release them in these days? As a DM, I don't have the time to continually re-furbish my world just to fit these things continually and keep things making sense on a consistent basis

Retreater

Legend
Some of the stuff doesn't fit the campaign. Sometimes I don't want to slow down a game by referencing multiple books. Sometimes the stuff is terribly balanced (and I'd wager not as thoroughly playtested as one might imagine). Next time I start a 5E campaign (which might be never, honestly), it's gonna be core rules only.

Remove ads

Remove ads