"But I'm THIS close to a new level..."

the Jester

Legend
I am utterly merciless on this one.

I remember once (way back in 1e) being ONE XP SHORT of 2nd level. Damn. If I can live through it, so can my players. :)

FreeTheSlaves

Adventurer
the Jester said:
Damn. If I can live through it, so can my players. :)
Hear hear.:D

(Btw, if a character dies we houserule they lose a full level based on the % of where they were. This eliminates the 'extra fear' of dying as you approach the next level.)

Beckett

Explorer
I've gone both ways; sometimes if some players are pretty close, I'll award a bonus for completeing the story arc to put them over (and those who weren't close just get the extra XP). Other times, such as today, had one player maybe 100 away, and another 37 XP away. They'll have to wait for next time, but I'll probably hand out some experience pretty early.

Another thing I've done, when players are close and I have a tough encountered planned, I'll allow everyone within ~500 XP level up. They don't gain any experience, but in every way they're treated as the new higher level. This includes experience calculations, so they'll end up getting less from the encounter- but, the encounter is a little easier.

Sieobahn

First Post
I used to just tell them to go up a level when it seemed about right. I was mostly playing campaigns like Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil, so they went up in levels as the challenge went up. Of course towards the end as they skipped large areas they went up a little fast.

Nowdays I hand it out and if they are a little short, too bad.

I do offer XP awards if the player does a good write-up for the online campaign message board, however this seems to be too much effort for them. They can spend two days min/maxing and fine tuning a PC, but try to get they to write something in character, or about the characters background and motivations, it is a real struggle.

I like the ideas about using only character names. I really hate it when I call out a character name in a battle for thier go, and the player just stares off into space not realising I am talking about him. (Some PC's missed thier go in the initiative thanks to that! :] ). It is just as bad as when they hand me a character sheet for approval with the name and all descriptive stuff blank! (Anyone read KotD 100 yet? :D )

Shemeska

Adventurer
And this is why I stopped giving out numerical XP at any point during a campaign. I keep rough track of it in my notes and then tell PCs when they level. Unless they're burning XP to make items etc I really don't stay strictly to the numbers for each and every fiendish dire goblin they kill :)

Jolly Giant

First Post
There have been a few times when players have been really close to a new level; say within 100 XP, that I've simply allowed them to do the level up without actually giving them any extra xp. It's better that they level between sessions than during sessions; leveling up during a session is just a waste of good gaming time. :]

Mercule

Adventurer
I can't ever remember giving out XP to anyone who was close to leveling. I do, however, remember giving out minor awards to players who did nice things for me or the group. I'm sure the two overlapped a few times, but there was no pity involved. I cannot imagine myself or anyone I've gamed with regularly whining about XP (although there are a couple from high school who probably just took a few extra hundred XP when desired, but that's another topic).

Of course, I've used some form of action points for the last few years to reward people, so that option isn't even available.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases