"But I'm THIS close to a new level..."

JamesDJarvis

First Post
Byrons_Ghost said:
I was just wondering if anyone else did similar stuff, since I'm sure that the "small amount for next level" situation has come up in virtually every campaign.

I never exp for that small amount of exp till next level "situation".

I have and do slip a players active character couple of extra exp for helping a session run smoothly. If someone brings mood music, extra character sheets and sometimes even a snack to share they'll be getting an exp bonus for that session.

kenobi65

First Post
When we've had players say, "awww, I just need 1 (or 10, or whatever) XP to level", occasionally the DM will offer a solo encounter. Almost always, that encounter turns out to be pretty tough, and sometimes the DM (with a sick sense of humor) will award only the XP that the PC needed to level, even if that encounter was worth more than that.

I don't think we've ever had a player successfully "wheedle" extra free XP out of the DM; I can't even remember anyone trying to do so.

Goblyn

Explorer
Our DM would 'spot' us the XP, depending on how close the PC really is and what the campaign situation is. Usually if it looked like the PC would quickly die without that level, it was given. I don't think anyone really asked for it either, but we were always grateful ... we played through Ravenloft I and II as well RttToEE. In succession.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Last Sunday my DM gleefully informed me that I finished that session 58xps short of the next level. I had to try wheedling, but didn't get anywhere. I think I would rather not have known :(

Cheers

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
I'm a pretty lenient GM, but I'm usually pretty by-the-book on XP. 2 xp off? Sorry, no level.

If you really want, I'll throw you up against something really quick, but don't bet on it.

Twowolves

Explorer
I seem to recall going on a "chicken hunt" back in the days of 1st ed. Something to the effect of each chicken being worth 1/8th of an xp, and they sold for 1cp each, so if you were close, we joked about going to the market, buying up all the chickens, and having a gladitorial death match, followed by dinner.

TwoWolves

Remove ads