• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"But I'm THIS close to a new level..."

Amal Shukup

First Post
twofalls said:
Once I give the "signal" we are no longer allowed to use our mundane names, but only character names for the rest of the session. So for example Marco my best friend is called Gnaut the name of his fighter, and that strongly reinforces that character's identity in the game. However I enforce this rule. If a player speaks to another using a mundane name once that signal has been given, the first player who calls them on it gets his own level x50 in xp directly from the offending players character sheet! If I was the offender I immediatly award the person who caught me with the same. I never personally call other players out on using mundane names as I would be seen as competing with them. It's worked very well and people have been good natured about it and haven't ever abused it. :)

Oooh. I like this.

I'm not sure my players would stand for it (the wimps), but your implementation is elegant. I particularly like the way you leave the 'policing' up to the players. Efficient.

A'Mal

Ibram

First Post
If a character is within 100xp of his next level I usualy just give him the extra. If the character is the lowest level character in the party then I'll give him more (up to 500)

Delemental

First Post
As a player, when I find myself within a hair's breadth of the next level, I usually don't mention it. The way I look at it, it just means I'm practically guaranteed a level raise next time around. Since I'm currently playing a wizard focused on item creation, I find myself frequently in this situation.

Actually, in some respects it's an advantage. Everyone else has nearly the same XP totals, so they all level at the same time, and are thus fighting over books while they make their adjustments. Me, I level up at the next session, and get all the books to myself. :)

Dagger75

Epic Commoner
If the players are withing like 300 xp of leveling I will give the XP to level them. I like it when the PC's level up.

Once I had a few players get mad they were over the level by 20 XP. They wanted to make some magic items.

dvvega

Explorer
Way back in the old days (OD&D, 1st ed, etc) I used to play XP as it stood.

Now and then I would grant a level with a "wave of the hand" if they were one goblin or so within a level.

Nowadays I don't use XP anymore anyway. I just say "you have all experienced enough to gain a level".

No one has XP expenditure feats though ... so I've got to come up with a replacement for that situation, however for now its been working marvelously.

Of course we don't play every week for 4 hours (as seems to be the expected norm in the D20 rules), we play for 6 or so hours every couple of weeks, and its more of a story guided by the players game, but it works great.

That way no one can argue with me about XP or "miscalculate".

D

twofalls

DM Beadle
Amal Shukup said:
Oooh. I like this.

I'm not sure my players would stand for it (the wimps), but your implementation is elegant. I particularly like the way you leave the 'policing' up to the players. Efficient.

A'Mal
Thanks Amal, but there is one thing I did forget to add. If a player for some reason looses enough xp due to being forgetful about names to actually go below the required xp for the level they are currently at, then they DONT loose the level, they just remain below the minimum xp needed till the next xp awards go out. That would make it hard to swallow I think if you could actually loose a level from this system. Ask your group about it. We've found that by thinking of each other as our characters roleplaying has been strongly encouraged.

John Q. Mayhem

Explorer
Catavarie said:
My group has the Standing Beer Rule, where who ever brings the DM the most Beer from the fridge that night gets extra XP. You should see some of the fights that have broken out when the DM takes that last swig from his Killians, its like everyone's eyes get as big as saucers and people start jumping over the couch and shoving each other out of the way. And I just sit back and think, "Man its good to be the DM." :D

*bows*

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
My point of view:

If someone is just shy of a level (and I use that to mean "close enough that I might feel like giving it to them" which is usually less than a hundred), then I give it to them.

The way I see it:

If they started a session just shy of a level, then they'd get more experience for that session. If they start it just after the level, they're probably taking a net loss of experience. They're trading a long-term benefit for a short term one.

And I've got no problem with that.

Wombat

First Post
With my group we have a very simple solution to this dilema.

If you want a few extra points, do a write-up of an interesting NPC that has not yet shown up in the game, or on a tavern or shop, or write a bit of background history, or even a legend.

Depending on length, quality, and acceptability, I award anywhere from 25-250XP.

Most of the players have taken me up on this offer, many more than once. :)

Basically you get points for making the game feel a bit more "lived in".

Remove ads