D&D 5E Buying the Farm - Claiming the Ruin - Occupying the Dungeon

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I just make it up spontaneously. It works.
What was cool was I then let them get "Domain Powers" that they could use by spending hit dice that could only be regained by spending a week on their property (i.e. "an extended rest").

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I just make it up spontaneously. It works.
What was cool was I then let them get "Domain Powers" that they could use by spending hit dice that could only be regained by spending a week on their property (i.e. "an extended rest").
Ooooo! That does sound cool.
Could you be persuaded to share your notes?

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Ooooo! That does sound cool.
Could you be persuaded to share your notes?

Sure, let me find them. But with the caveat that while I like the idea and tied the extended rest to stuff like brewing potions and other downtime activity - I was not happy with the powers themselves and it is something I want to tweak for my next campaign.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Oh and one thing to mention is that if the PCs get a property as the direct consequence of an adventure they should just get it, but when they buy it or inherit it I always write a short adventure that helps cement it as theirs. For example, for my current group they had to earn the favor of the booka that lived in the rafters by killing a Cloaker that laired in a secret subbasement with an tunnel exit that let out down by a nearby stream.

My PC’s have settled in the Keep on the Borderland.
Another PC is lord of the village from The Stone Circle - Ossington.

FYI, it’s a 3.5e campaign, and I’ve taken rules for running villages from AD&D 1e, Harn, Pathfinder 1, and anywhere else that seems good.

I say that because this was posted as “D&D 5e”, but you don’t need to stick to just a single source, if you don’t want to.

Clint_L

Hero
Livable pocket dimensions. You gotta convince your DM that these exist. From there on, you can build your own portable stronghold.
Isn't that Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion?

One of my current home campaigns has cleared out a warehouse from some thugs were using it. I love that it is basically one step up from squatting, which suits the tenor of the campaign. They're kind of losers (in the best possible way).

S'mon

Legend
Have you ever had your players decide that their characters wanted to take over a dungeon, a ruin, or any other piece of property in your game, and claim it as their own? Like, they drove out the bad guys and looted all the rooms and then thought to themselves: "Hey, you know what? This is in a great location! It's right outside of town, close to schools, the neighbors are quiet...I think we should move in!" And if so, how did you handle it?

Happens all the time IMCs. PCs clear out an old fort and claim it. PCs clear out an evil temple and claim it for their own god, convert to the temple faith, or turn it into a luxury resort inn. My son especially has most of his PCs do this kind of thing. It's great for world building IME. I've used Forge of Fury several times, and Khundrakar is always being claimed & restored! Likewise Rivergard Keep from Princes of the Apocalypse has been twice claimed in two separate campaigns. Indeed pretty much every location in Princes of the Apocalypse became a PC base.

S'mon

Legend
Costs: Building stone stuff new typically costs thousands to tens of thousands gp. Wood in the hundreds of gp, low thousands for a really big building like a large barracks. Repairs will cost a fraction of that. A keep in fairly good condition like the Shadowed Keep on the Borderlands cost hundreds of gp IMC, as did blunting the points from the wall spikes in the Stonehell level 4 evil pain cult dungeon & turning it into a luxury resort inn for dungeon dwellers.

For followers I tend to use the 1e AD&D DMG rules as a base. But most followers are recruited in play, eg my son's high priest of Yig PC seeks to recruit any lizardmen, troglodytes, yuan-ti etc encountered to join the swelling ranks of his temple forces.

Remove ads