C&Ds for Online D&D 5E Character Generators

Ed Friedlander reports that WotC has asked him to remove his D&D character generators. Ed ran the generators at his site, Pathguy.com, including a D&D 5E character generator. His Pathfinder RPG character generator is still running. Thanks to Slayyne for the scoop (who also reports that at least one other site has also closed). [Update: while the actual request has not been shared, others have reported that these are very amicable requests].

Ed Friedlander reports that WotC has asked him to remove his D&D character generators. Ed ran the generators at his site, Pathguy.com, including a D&D 5E character generator. His Pathfinder RPG character generator is still running. Thanks to Slayyne for the scoop (who also reports that at least one other site has also closed). [Update: while the actual request has not been shared, others have reported that these are very amicable requests].

You can see his closing note here.

"After almost two decades, Wizards of the Coast has asked me to remove my online character generators. I appreciate the many people who have written and thanked me for my work, and I hope you will continue to enjoy the hobby.

As a physician and gamer, I've supported and defended the hobby, and helped concerned families understand its value.

The "Dungeons and Dragons" phenomenon has encouraged young people to study other cultures. It is a game in which people work together to accomplish a meaningful goal. Characters even define themselves in terms of their good morals and their ethics. On one level, it simulates the spiritual warfare described in the Christian scriptures and in the Arthurian legends on which the game is based. I am proud that I was able to make a contribution.

My generator for Pathfinder will of course remain online. Click here for more information about this role-playing game.

May your dice come up 20s.

Ed Friedlander MD
"

Back in November, the D&D Tools website suffered a similar fate, as have a couple of spellcard websites. While WotC appears to be largely easygoing as far as fan creations are concerned, they do take action when content from their products is copied or distributed.

Ed's character generator created characters by selecting a number of options, and output a character sheet similar to below. I'm not all that familiar with it, so I don't know what text, if any, it may have borrowed from the official rules.

As yet, there's no license (Open Gaming or otherwise) for D&D 5th Edition (although WotC does intend to do so), although a number of publishers have published books anyway using the older Open Gaming License for D&D 3E and 3.5.

What is interesting to hear is that some people who have received such requests describe them as very amicable. Toxic Rat says "Speaking from personal experience, I received a very nice email asking that I take down particular content owned by WotC. No threats, no warnings of legal action, just a request to honor their copyright." That's great to hear.

dwarfey.jpg

Toxic_Rat

Explorer
I wish these folks would share the C&Ds so we all didn't have to guess.

It is likely that there was no official C&D, in this particular case at least. Speaking from personal experience, I received a very nice email asking that I take down particular content owned by WotC. No threats, no warnings of legal action, just a request to honor their copyright. It really sucked, and I hope to change it someday, but there it is. There are likely cases where an official letter was issued, but I suspect that is reserved only when they need to start getting serious about legal action, and the offending party is ignoring the initial polite requests.

Evenglare

Adventurer
Again though, theres the bigger problem of us fans not knowing what and what will not get shut down except through arcane guess work. Wizards has every right of shutting anyone down, it's their IP and they can do with it as they wish. Now clearly a game that ENCOURAGES people to take it and make it their own seems to be a bit... contradictory. From they very first day of the launch of the Starter Set back in the summer they should have had a fan use policy. That's one of the first things any competent company does. Take numenera for example, as soon as the game was released they laid out the rules.

If they keep their IP close to them and no one else then you will eventually start loosing fans. Granted Wizards are not that bad yet, but they are starting on that path to be sure. As much as I love D&D, Wizards have abysmal PR. We rarely get any information about the future and their business plans. Of course this leads into their release schedule nonsense. Anyway, the point is they won't tell us anything until it's too late! God, it's so annoying.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It is likely that there was no official C&D, in this particular case at least. Speaking from personal experience, I received a very nice email asking that I take down particular content owned by WotC. No threats, no warnings of legal action, just a request to honor their copyright. It really sucked, and I hope to change it someday, but there it is. There are likely cases where an official letter was issued, but I suspect that is reserved only when they need to start getting serious about legal action, and the offending party is ignoring the initial polite requests.

That's nice to hear. That's exactly how I would hope they would approach it. Most everything in this world can be resolved amicably.

painted_klown

First Post
I can certainly understand WOTC wanting to protect their IP, and at the very minimun, I can appreciate them being polite and not threatening legal action upon initial requests to take down items they feel violate their copyrights.

I do hope this is a sign that WOTC is currently working on their own character generators, to be released to the masses as an official product.

One thing I find a bit odd is that whille they are freely giving away the game on their website, and encouraging as many people to play as they can get, that they would have an issue with a fan created character generator. I guess my line of thinking is that it gets more people playing, and therefore should lead to more sales of the core books, or at least the PHB at a minimum. Either way, WOTC doesn't veiw it the same, so we must accept that.

Initially (out of ignorance), I was wondering how you could play using only the free PDF files on their website. After I bought the 3 core books, and ran a few sessions (starter set LMoP and homebrew) I realized that they truly did give 5E away for free. As I was explaining this to a couple of new players, it really hit me how generous that move was. Really, you could honestly play D&D 5E for the rest of your life, and never have to spend any money to do so. Of course, you may get bored with the limited number of player options and/or monsters after a while, but still, it can be done at no cost. If/when you do hit a point that you want more options, you can always choose pick up the 3 core books to feed the itch for more content. As far as I am aware, they haven't done that with any edition in the past.

Once I had that "moment of realization" so-to-speak, it actually made me feel good to know that I was supporting a game (financially, and by word of mouth/encouragement) that was not only the most well known RPG, but one that I could show people a couple of links, and introduce them to years and years of RPG fun for free.

While it's easy to come on a message board and point out everything we may find to quibble with, IMO it's hard to argue that WOTC haven't been more than generous to its fans with 5E.

Last edited by a moderator:

Given the failure of Morningstar, and the total lack of an OGL or any other kind of licensing mechanism for 5E, this bodes pretty ill for the long-term future of 5E, I suspect. This is 2015. People want online tools for character generation and advancement.

By cracking down on stuff like this, they successfully depend their IP, but no matter how politely they do it, they also illustrate their own failings, and tell fans of the game "don't try to create any kind of programs for this, because we may just ask you to take them down" (you can't even stick to the material in the basic stuff and be sure, in the absence of any OGL or legal language stating you can). It's nice that they're not being rude/abusive/legally nasty, but a polite takedown notice is still basically "burn all the work you've done".

There's absolutely no reason to believe that they're developing any digital tools like this themselves. They already contracted it out once and then rapidly called time on it, and historically, WotC has a very poor record of creating tools, and a very good record of announcing anything digital as soon as it's even planned.

Realistically, though, unless WotC does make some sort of official API, or officially licensed offering, we're pretty much not going to get any tools for 5E, and that's just not going to work long-term, not if they want to maintain or grow D&D, rather than to appeal to an ever-shrinking core of traditionalists.

The nerd edition of THE SLAP premieres Friday Feb 6th.

This stupid decision is right up there with pulling the sales of classic D&D pdfs and then complaining about piracy.

WOTC launched a very successful game and now seem content to let enthusiasm for it die. I hope for the sake of the brand, that there is ton of non tabletop stuff coming that will make money because the player base will wander to other games that offer more than slapdowns and silence.

graypariah

First Post
I am very saddened to see this. I did not use the tool myself (nor was I even aware about it) but for me it makes me wonder if they truly intend to release a usable OGL for 5th edition. Even a polite request for someone to take something down that in a few months would have been compliant seems unnecessary unless one of two things is true. A) They don't intend to release an OGL at all or B) they intend to release their own version of the product before the OGL. This isn't a case where in a few years they will release an OGL, we were led to believe that it will be released in the spring or summer.

There is such a thing as looking the other way. A business can prohibit something and at the same time not enforce their prohibition, we do it all the time where I work. WotC should have done just that if they truly intended to provide us with an OGL in a few months time.

talsharien

First Post
I don't think that this situation would be quite as bad if Wizards actually got off their useless backsides and delivered an online tool of their own. The fact that they don't have a clue about such things but insist on blocking every other attempt is just terrible. The fact that people are out there putting generators up and the like and they are very popular would cause most businesses to sit back and think "wow we may be able to make some money here" but Wizards seem oblivious to this need and demand.
As stated in previous posts I think ultimately that people will eventually drift to other games, despite how good this one is.
It is like a little kid having a ball and no friends but not wanting to share his ball.

shadowva

First Post
As far as I know, you can not claim IP on a game's mechanics, so don't know why they could ask to pull this down. I think the rational might be the use of Tieflings and Halflings, those might be copyright material. Ironic that the halfling was created to get around the hobbit IP issue.

Remove ads

Remove ads