• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

calculating XP and traps

calighis

First Post
If an encounter takes place where monsters take advantage of a trapped area (pit trap is especially dangerous for this reason as it can separate one or more party members in the middle of combat)
Is the trap CR calculated into the total EL. What if the monsters don't know about the trap and they set it off? Is the opposite true?

Keith Robinson

Explorer
If an encounter takes place where monsters take advantage of a trapped area (pit trap is especially dangerous for this reason as it can separate one or more party members in the middle of combat)
Is the trap CR calculated into the total EL. What if the monsters don't know about the trap and they set it off? Is the opposite true?

I'm not aware of any hard and fast rules on this (though someone else might), but if you're planning on building an encounter around a trap, then I would certainly include it as part of the EL.

If it's just incidental - and is equally dangerous to both the adventurers and monsters - then I probably wouldn't include it.

Sorry, nothing RAW there, just my opinion. YMMV.

Shin Okada

Explorer
First of all, XPs are not calculated depend on EL, but depend on CR of each threats. Both monsters and traps have their own CR. So, basically, traps are no different from monsters.

If players have to overcome a CR 10 monster and a CR 10 trap, they gain XPs for overcoming two CR 10 things.

The problem is, if both sides don't know the existence of the trap beforehand, it is like fighting a three-cornered fight. The trap is basically a third party, threat for both PCs and monsters. And unfortunately, AFAIK there is no rule to solve three-cornered fight in DnD 3.5e.

So basically, you must make up a rule by yourself. Maybe you can give half the amount of XPs for the trap to PCs, because it may harm either side in 50/50 chance.

Remove ads