Call to the Four Lands

Leif

Adventurer
Mowgli said:
[sblock=For Anyone Interested]This post is probably gonna come across as an overreaction to questions asked about my character - please don't take it that way. I am feeling a little defensive about Kat, b/c I am aware that her 'special' magic items are somewhat overpowered for our character levels. Possibly it would be a good idea for me to post my ideas about the nature of the game and my style of play, and then get some feedback from the rest of the players. If y'all don't think I'll be a good fit for the party after reading this, I understand, and I'll bow out with absolutely no hard feelings. Just be aware that it's not my nature to mince words - I speak (or write) what's on my mind - I don't mean to offend, I've just found it saves time.

I'm not a rules guru or a suplements fiend (I don't even know what a Warblade is, and don't care to look it up - I'm certain I'm going to love discovering what you can do with one through playing the game with one in the party). I do understand the need for rules, but I tend to think of them more as guidelines (I think it even says somewhere in one of the rulebooks that this should be the case, but they may have taken that out for 3.5 :D ). The game is listed as 'Homebrew' rather than D&D because our beloved GM has similar beliefs about the rules. I like to play cool characters, and when I get an idea for one I try to make it work (I love the idea of ambidexterity, for example. I mistakenly listed it as a 'trait' rather than as a 'talent,' but it was taken in place of one of my precious feats).

I don't want to unbalance the game, and I'm not competing with other party members for the spotlight - I want to be effective, and I want to celebrate the joys of victory, experience the drama of a game well played, and yes even mourn the agony of defeat or loss. I like to gripe when I have a run of bad luck with the dice (we call it the 'IC Curse' in the group I usually play with). I'm pretty careful about checking stuff out with my GM before I add it to my character, and I expect him to call me on anything he doesn't particularly like. When he does, I'll probably gripe about that as well - my griping doesn't mean anything, it's in good fun and I try to make it humorous when I can.

That being said, I was aware when I spoke with Todd about those 'special' items that they are overpowered for our character levels. They actually come to Kat from a player character I ran years ago in the face to face incarnation of this very campaign. (Rhun, Slabhra Dragan just means 'Dragon Chain' in Gaelic). I actually offered to tone down both the armor and the swords a bit, with the idea that the current powers would be discovered as Kat matured (leveled up). However, I wasn't going to argue when Todd said she could use them as is.

Finally, my understanding of the reason we post our characters is so that we can share cool things with the rest of the party, and so that we'll be able to play to our strengths. I truly don't mean to be arrogant, snooty, or whatever, but my understanding is not that we post characters so they can be picked apart by other party members. I know most people who do this do it from a sense of fair play, and I'm not offended by it, but it is a pet peeve for me. If you are looking through my character sheet and see where I've made a mistake in my figures, if you see I've taken four feats when I should have only taken three, etc. PLEASE let me know. Just when I think I've got most of the calculation errors ironed out of that spreadsheet, another one rears it's ugly head. But if you see an ability/feat/piece of equipment/whatever listed, even (maybe especially) if it seems unusual, you can trust that I've checked it out with Todd (or whatever other GM is running the game) and gotten it approved - that's what we do, right?

OK, I've gotten all that off my chest now. Since I took the liberty of venting all that, please feel free to sound off as well![/sblock]
[sblock=Mowgli-ness]Day-yum, son, I'm glad you're on OUR side! ;) [/sblock]

Dracomeander

First Post
Mowgli said:
[sblock=For Anyone Interested]This post is probably gonna come across as an overreaction to questions asked about my character - please don't take it that way. I am feeling a little defensive about Kat, b/c I am aware that her 'special' magic items are somewhat overpowered for our character levels. Possibly it would be a good idea for me to post my ideas about the nature of the game and my style of play, and then get some feedback from the rest of the players. If y'all don't think I'll be a good fit for the party after reading this, I understand, and I'll bow out with absolutely no hard feelings. Just be aware that it's not my nature to mince words - I speak (or write) what's on my mind - I don't mean to offend, I've just found it saves time.

I'm not a rules guru or a suplements fiend (I don't even know what a Warblade is, and don't care to look it up - I'm certain I'm going to love discovering what you can do with one through playing the game with one in the party). I do understand the need for rules, but I tend to think of them more as guidelines (I think it even says somewhere in one of the rulebooks that this should be the case, but they may have taken that out for 3.5 :D ). The game is listed as 'Homebrew' rather than D&D because our beloved GM has similar beliefs about the rules. I like to play cool characters, and when I get an idea for one I try to make it work (I love the idea of ambidexterity, for example. I mistakenly listed it as a 'trait' rather than as a 'talent,' but it was taken in place of one of my precious feats).

I don't want to unbalance the game, and I'm not competing with other party members for the spotlight - I want to be effective, and I want to celebrate the joys of victory, experience the drama of a game well played, and yes even mourn the agony of defeat or loss. I like to gripe when I have a run of bad luck with the dice (we call it the 'IC Curse' in the group I usually play with). I'm pretty careful about checking stuff out with my GM before I add it to my character, and I expect him to call me on anything he doesn't particularly like. When he does, I'll probably gripe about that as well - my griping doesn't mean anything, it's in good fun and I try to make it humorous when I can.

That being said, I was aware when I spoke with Todd about those 'special' items that they are overpowered for our character levels. They actually come to Kat from a player character I ran years ago in the face to face incarnation of this very campaign. (Rhun, Slabhra Dragan just means 'Dragon Chain' in Gaelic). I actually offered to tone down both the armor and the swords a bit, with the idea that the current powers would be discovered as Kat matured (leveled up). However, I wasn't going to argue when Todd said she could use them as is.

Finally, my understanding of the reason we post our characters is so that we can share cool things with the rest of the party, and so that we'll be able to play to our strengths. I truly don't mean to be arrogant, snooty, or whatever, but my understanding is not that we post characters so they can be picked apart by other party members. I know most people who do this do it from a sense of fair play, and I'm not offended by it, but it is a pet peeve for me. If you are looking through my character sheet and see where I've made a mistake in my figures, if you see I've taken four feats when I should have only taken three, etc. PLEASE let me know. Just when I think I've got most of the calculation errors ironed out of that spreadsheet, another one rears it's ugly head. But if you see an ability/feat/piece of equipment/whatever listed, even (maybe especially) if it seems unusual, you can trust that I've checked it out with Todd (or whatever other GM is running the game) and gotten it approved - that's what we do, right?

OK, I've gotten all that off my chest now. Since I took the liberty of venting all that, please feel free to sound off as well![/sblock]

Mowgli, if my post came off as a complaint, I apologize. As Leif found out earlier, I am something of a rules guru for the groups I run with.

I was just wondering what rule set, or guidelines, you were drawing your resources from and pointing out where the rules, that most folks consider the standard, differed. I also like the idea of ambidexterity and run an AE/AU game for my own tabletop group.

As for the gear envy, of course we all fall prey to it at times. But as I said when discussing the severing blade, I saw what JA gifted my character for a weapon and do trust that things will be fair for all. With the armor, you will notice I didn't suggest you change anything. I was just pointing out a thought that came to me about the difficulties of trying to hang on to such armor should someone outside of the group discover you have it.

I think your relationship with the DM will be an asset to the group and welcome the chance to discover more of the Four Lands with you and the others.

Dracomeander

First Post
The Great North

JA, I have a question about the situation in the Great North.

Was Finnian able to make contact with the Duke from inside the tent?

If contact was not established, Finnian would have found a quiet spot away from the party outside the tent to make his report.

Also, Finnian would definitely start avoiding the tent if he is losing track of time while within it. He has a Ring of Sustenance so he does not need the extra sleep and would find losing time that way to be a very dangerous situation in the group's current circumstances.

Leif

Adventurer
Dracomeander said:
I think your relationship with the DM will be an asset to the group and welcome the chance to discover more of the Four Lands with you and the others.
Draco, Draco, Draco..... tsk, tsk, tsk. You obviously aren't as used to our beloved JA as some of the rest of us. Those of us who have gamed with him in RL for years and years and years know that we, as his friends, are simply "High Value Targets" because of the relationship, and nothing more. :D

Rhun

First Post
Hey Mowgli...I wasn't try to call into question your armor/weapons, and definitely didn't want to start any flaming. :D Mostly I was just curious what source they came from, as I had never seen anything like them before.

I look forward to gaming with you, and certainly don't want a little "gear-envy" to cause any problems. I'm sure it will all work out as we level up and learn the special powers of our own items. Plus, knowing the types of foes that JA likes to throw at us, every little bit of magic will help us survive.

Rhun

First Post
Hey JA, question for you: Will we be finding any nice magical weapons along the way? Roak has about 2000gp left to spend, and I'm torn whether to invest that in making his greatsword a +1 weapon, or finding something else to do with it.

Leif

Adventurer
Pyrex?

Got a question for you: What is Aidan's age? I looked on his sheet, but didn't find it. From reading your history (which I like very much, btw) I get the feeling that he is younger than Nijel. But it also occurs to me that it might provide a delicious ironic touch if Aidan was actually the older brother. Or not. Whichever way you prefer is fine with me. Truthfully, from the way your history is written, it might work better if we make them fraternal twins, which is even better, imho! :)

Pyrex

First Post
Huh, yeah, I seem to have missed that. :heh:

We were talking about it before, let's go with twins. For entertainment value we can still make Aidan the "older" brother (if only by a matter of minutes). Which allows Aidan to add "Respect your elders" to his list of taunts for Nijel... :lol:

Ferrix

Explorer
I was wondering if you had the campaign document available somewhere? I tried the link on the first page and it said it wasn't there. Want some info to figure out how to fit the character into the world.

Remove ads