Call to the Four Lands

J. Alexander

First Post
Min and Max

Hey guys
I really appreciate the interest and your enthusaim about your characters and am looking forward to kick the game of soon..but to your dear ole sucpious dm it appears that a vast number of you have gotten away from your great character concepts and have started to min and max your characters thru magic etc as well as feats and such...remember a little is okay but some have gone far afield and need to rethink all that they are doing and if it is true to the character they have presented or our you just trying to tweak it....the items i gave were in an addition to what you had posted and were designed to compliment your charter and the overall game and not a license to squeeze every last bit of advantage

Rhun

First Post
Most of Roak's equipment is normal stuff...though he still has some gold to spend. Besides a Cloak of Resistance +1 and Breastplate +1 and his signet ring, he doesn't have any other magic.

Redclaw

First Post
I don't know if the min-maxing was aimed at me. I tried to stay true to my concept while creating him. The armor crystal is solely about his connection to the gold dragon (since he gets water breathing as part of his progression, the swimming armor seemed like a good fit.) The only thing I took otherwise that was a bit unusual were the steadfast boots, which really focus on his desire to be a second-rank melee combatant. I picture it as a magical explanation for being constantly prepared to protect himself and the others from a charge. If you'd like me to get rid of either, I will do so quite contentedly. Just let me know.

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
I'm not sure what you mean by min-maxing. The point of starting gold for creating higher level characters is to equip them the way you want, right? And how do you min-max with magic items - they do what they're designed to do!

Kat does exactly what I designed her to do - be a spunky, butt kicking (for a non-martial type, anyway), sneaky (in only the most law abiding manner, of course) rogue/scout type, with (very unusually for me) some arcane spell ability as well.

Rhun

First Post
Mowgli said:
Kat does exactly what I designed her to do - be a spunky, butt kicking (for a non-martial type, anyway), sneaky (in only the most law abiding manner, of course) rogue/scout type, with (very unusually for me) some arcane spell ability as well.

Can I ask what Slabhra Dragon armor is? It is the equivalent of Full Plate +1 with none of the drawback. And I have to say, her two shortswords seem a little over the top as well. I mean, if JA approved them that's cool, but your Rogue 2/Sorcerer 2 looks like she can nearly outfight my Warblade.

Last edited:

Dracomeander

First Post
I've got some questions about 'Kat' as well.

Are you using 3.0 or AU/AE instead of 3.5? D&D 3.5 doesn't have Ambidexterity and 3.0 still penalized a chosen off-hand on the Strength bonus. AE/AU has the talent called Ambidexterity that allows full Strength from both hands.

In 3.5, Weapon Finesse applies to all Light weapons and to certain other weapons designated as finessable such as the rapier.

I have to echo Rhun's question about the Slabhra Dragan armor. I love the armor, but with those properties, it seems like it would be a rather legendary piece that will draw 'Kat' an awful lot of attention from anyone who recognized it.

The short swords are on par with what JA has gifted Ewan for a weapon. The problem I see is that 3rd Ed did away with that favorite weapon of mine from previous editions. The sharpness or severing blade no longer exists as a quirk that doesn't fit into the rest of the combat mechanics. Admittedly, they never did fit into the D&D abstraction that was called combat, but 3rd Edition specifically got rid of that mess except for the instant death effect of the vorpal weapon.

Pyrex

First Post
I've posted a good portion of Aidan's background into his post in the RG; so I should be posting an intro post in the IC thread in the not too distant future. :)

J. Alexander

First Post
Min max Point

The over all point and i should have made it clear,,is that the characters are 4th level...still new to the world of adventuring so instead of giving them everything that looks good etc..give them a chance to grow with the campaign instead of limiting yourself to a preset course when it has yet to evolve. :)

J. Alexander

First Post
Kat

The items etc for Kat are on par with what the characters possess, the only difference is that she is aware of their background and history thru her uncle Nickey..as it fit well with the overall character profile..so the rest can have fun discovering what you truly are carrying around :)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases