• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Called shots

Infiniti2000

First Post
Kaledor said:
How do you arbitrate a shot to the heart without a called shot rule?
You do it while the vampire is helpless. Otherwise, it can't be done.

Kaledor said:
(Our group house ruled that it is a Dimin. Target (so +8 AC) but that it kept all of the creatures normal AC. So if the vamp had an AC of 21, its heart had an AC of 29.)
And if the vampire had an AC of 20+(your attack modifier) all of his AC is totally worthless.

The area that makes me grit my teeth more than the vampire, though, is the hydra. It not only has a called shot rule, but suggests you use it in the monster description! It only works on hydras, too, you can't chop the head off any other creature.

Thanee

First Post
Infiniti2000 said:
It doesn't work in the d20 system because when a character always needs a natural 20 to hit, he will always use a called shot. In such cases, hitting the opponent in the eye is just as difficult as hitting him anywhere on the body.

This is not necessarily true, obviously it depends on how the called shot system works. Argueing that such a system doesn't work by making assumptions, which may or may not be true, has no point at all. :)

Also, the D&D system already has this 'problem' in other areas (i.e. Power Attack).

There are optional rules, which take care of this already, even in the RAW.

Bye
Thanee

Infiniti2000

First Post
Thanee said:
...by making assumptions, which may or may not be true...
Right, so present your system and we'll discuss it. Point me to the thread in House Rules. I say it can't be done. You have to present your system to prove that it can. :)

iwatt

First Post
Patryn of Elvenshae said:
That it's impossible to do while the vampire is still fighting you. If you want to stake it, then you need to find it in its coffin and perform a CDG. :)

Or you have to be a cheerleader wannabe from a small California town, whose school lies just on top of a Hellmouth. ;)

werk

First Post
Almost always, a called shot makes it 'easier' to take out the opponent. I mean, that's why you do it right? Trading an attack penalty for a tactical advantage.

That is why it is an unbalancing attack, it is especially effective compared to a regular attack...and that's why they are bad...and why people grumble about sneaks so much.

"Wow, I thought these vamps were going to be tough, but shooting all of them in the heart was a snap! That only took us a couple of rounds."

"Man, (insert monster name) sure are a lot easier to kill after you shoot out their eyes."
blinded

Kahuna Burger

First Post
werk said:
Almost always, a called shot makes it 'easier' to take out the opponent. I mean, that's why you do it right? Trading an attack penalty for a tactical advantage.

That is why it is an unbalancing attack, it is especially effective compared to a regular attack...and that's why they are bad...and why people grumble about sneaks so much.

"Wow, I thought these vamps were going to be tough, but shooting all of them in the heart was a snap! That only took us a couple of rounds."

"Man, (insert monster name) sure are a lot easier to kill after you shoot out their eyes."
blinded

"gee, monsters with moderate AC but high DR go down faster if the fighter full power attacks with his greatsword."

its a tactic. A tactic mechanicly similar to power attack, but thematicly more suited to finessed or ranged combatants.

For all the opponents of called shots, why is it ok for a two handed high str fighter to trade accuracy for massive amounts of damage, but unacceptable for the rapier weilder or archer to do the exact same thing? This I do not get.

Thanee

First Post
Note, that I believe a called shot system would be most viable in a modern style d20 system without levels and hit points.

Bye
Thanee

iwatt

First Post
Kahuna Burger said:
"gee, monsters with moderate AC but high DR go down faster if the fighter full power attacks with his greatsword."

its a tactic. A tactic mechanicly similar to power attack, but thematicly more suited to finessed or ranged combatants.

For all the opponents of called shots, why is it ok for a two handed high str fighter to trade accuracy for massive amounts of damage, but unacceptable for the rapier weilder or archer to do the exact same thing? This I do not get.

I actually agree with you on the archer build.... there should be a feat called Aimed Shot that allows you to take a penalty to hit for a bonus to damage. The Peerless Archer (Silver Marches) has this abilty, and it's called Power shot. I don't think it's overpowered as a feat, with enough prerequisites before. (PBS, Precise Shot would seem enough to me)

For the finesse build, I think there actually is a mechanic for this: Sneak attack. You just have to find ways to increse the chance to catch an opponent flat footed (I like Imp Feint). Another method is to go duelist and get precise strike. So there actually are ways to obtain extra damage for finesse fighters.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads