• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Called shots

iwatt

First Post
Patryn of Elvenshae said:
Quick point: You do realize that you don't multiple critical hits; you roll them multiple times, right?

He probably ported it from 2e in which critical hit damage was multipied (in the Skill and Powers books I think). I hated that rule* by the way.

* I think it was the official rule. Maybe it was just a common house rule?

Thanee

First Post
Infiniti2000 said:
So, what shot are you 'calling' if you don't actually call a shot?

That would be called an abstract called shot system, I guess (Patryn's, too).
It works just like an abstract hit point system by leaving the explanation as to what is done exactly out of the mechanics.

Bye
Thanee

iwatt

First Post
Plane Sailing said:
This really does look like a house rules discussion, so I'll zip it over to that forum.

Cheers

And I though I was finally getting away with discussing HR in the Rules forums ;)

genshou

First Post
Infiniti2000 said:
No, and for good reason. I refer you to Sean K. Reynold's rant on called shots. You will not come up with a good ruleset for called shots in the d20 system.
I've read Sean K. Reynold's rant on called shouts countless times, and quite frankly I agree with him for the most part. But I've developed a called shot system that is balanced within the system in which it exists. However, this system uses vitality/wounds and replaces core magic with the Elements of Magic rules set. It would never work in D&D unless the required damage for a called shot were increased and true strike were outlawed (at least for the purpose of determining called shot success).

Saying a good ruleset cannot be created is far too objective an opinion. It is possible, but it doesn't work with all d20 System products, nor with all games.

Thanee

First Post
SKR's rant is completely taken out of context there. SKR speaks of D&D combat, not the d20 system in general. ;)

Bye
Thanee

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads