D&D 5E Campaigns losing steam

PnPgamer

Explorer
This is also something that depends on peoples attitudes as well. In the city i was born and raised my friends tended to want new all the time so campaigns ended up unintentionally quickly. When i moved to city in which i studied my engineering, there were lot more dedicated players just by attitude.

And no, the people i played with on hometown were not family men, nor did they have extraordinary amounts of hobbies either. Nor does my current group.

S'mon

Legend
What I feel is the best solution for me: pick a time and a place to play. Be there each time. Have a game ready. Run it for whoever is there, even if it is just one person. Be firm and move the game on despite the absences. If people say they won't play without so and so, tell them YOU will play and do it! The missers will get the message and drop out or start showing up.

Yeah, this is pretty much how I do it. Recruit 4-6 players, set a regular schedule (I like fortnightly, anything less is too infrequent) and stick to it. I'll run with 2+ players, I'll usually call it off if only 1 is available though. My 4e game just had its 81st session so this seems to work. :)

jrowland

First Post
Its a problem, as others have testified. But you'll get through it.

I run a weekly game that rarely runs every week. But by scheduling weekly, we usually go no more than 3 weeks before another session (during the holidays when we're busy with out-of-town relatives or traveling and such).

I think light prep is key for situations like this: Keep it light, keep it casual, but do your best to draw them into something of a story. Plan for a 2 hour commitment, but give yourself (the DM) and the host (if different) a 4 hour block in case everyone is having fun and wants more. As they get a taste, they'll hunger for more ( or not) and your group should eventually settle into a routing...at that point kick up the campaign prep.

Older working family adults often have a hard time prioritizing D&D over other obligations, but if its worded and presented as a "Bowling Night" "Girls/Boys Night out" etc, including food (even if its just pizza) and cocktails (beer/ wine) it feels more like socializing than playing, and can be justified without feeling guilty for a well deserved break from work/kids/etc.

my 2cp

Remove ads