D&D 5E Can a bladesinger take Lance proficiency with Training in war and song?

Clint_L

Hero
Of course it is, it's almost always used in conjunction with a shield. What it isn't is a weapon that can be effectively used unmounted.

The OP makes it clear they would be using the lance two handed. Where it effectively becomes a pike. Bladesong only ends when the character attacks with a 2-handed weapon. If they are casting spells they can do it just fine holding a long pointy stick.
Also, it's not used in melee, even if mounted. It's used on a charge. In melee knights immediately drop their lance, if it isn't already broken, and start using a, you know know, melee weapon.

Yes, OP did make that clear. They also made it clear that they were trying to take advantage of being allowed "a one handed melee weapon."

And also, players are welcome to try to wield a pike in a dungeon if they want to be at a severe disadvantage in tight spaces, and frequently unable to even use it. Imagine trying to fight in a corridor that is 10' high and 5' wide with a pike (or a lance). These weapons are designed for big open spaces, moving in formations.

ECMO3

Hero
Also, it's not used in melee, even if mounted. It's used on a charge. In melee knights immediately drop their lance, if it isn't already broken, and start using a, you know know, melee weapon.

That depends on what era you are talking about. This is true of the very late middle ages, but for most of the middle ages, lances were used under your arm during a charge and then used overhanded after combat was joined. You can see this on the Bayou Tapestry with riders using the lance both under their arm like a jousting knight and overhanded like a spear:

And also, players are welcome to try to wield a pike in a dungeon if they want to be at a severe disadvantage in tight spaces, and frequently unable to even use it. Imagine trying to fight in a corridor that is 10' high and 5' wide with a pike (or a lance). These weapons are designed for big open spaces, moving in formations.

Would you give disadvantage to someone using a Halberd or a Glaive? They are as large as a Lance and are designed for being used in formation.

Last edited:

ECMO3

Hero
but having just started a bladesinger - have to ask.

How did you manage a strength based bladesinger, they're just so MAD? What are the stats?

S17 D16 C9 I20 W5 CH11 That is at 1st level after ability bonuses (+1 dex, +2 intelligence). I thought about putting the +1 in con but I decided the AC with Dex would be better. I am probably going to take the Weapon master feat and boost strength at level 4 and pick up a hand crossbow and whatever 1-handed magic melee weapons we have found by that point (or a morning star if we don't have magic weapons since I just think that sounds cool and I have never used one in game). After that I will probably get dex ASIs. I might also try to work in skill expert-Stealth and boost con to 10.

I have played a lot of bladesingers, but this is the first one I have played with a high strength (and the only one I played that started with a 20 in anything or less than a 6 in anything). It is not the only one I played with a 9 con though. I've done that before and it is workable, you just need to get and use false life a lot, and with a low con in the past it was not on a Goblin where I can disengage as a bonus action.

Bladesinger is a really felxible character. You can play as a back line caster Wizard with some extra defense and mobility, you can play as a Gish striker mixing sword and spells offensively with things like Shadowblade or you can play as a melee tank using defensive spells exclusively to boost your hps and AC so you dominate the front line and suck up enemy attacks (blur, PEG, false life, contingency, shield, Absorb Elements, Silvery Barbs). I usually do the last of those, but if you do that you usually can't concentrate on offensive spells or you will get taken to the cleaners because of your low hps. If you are taking 5-10 attacks a turn you really need blur or PEG up.

Last edited:

And also, players are welcome to try to wield a pike in a dungeon
This applies to a lot of weapons that are really too big to wield in close quarters combat, and D&D rules have never really dealt with adequately.

But mechanically, gaining an extra weapon proficiency in anything won't significantly effect game balance.

Horwath

Legend
pike/lance would be a good choice for a narrow low ceiling corridor, or any piercing weapon.
If I have to chose between a spear or great sword/great-ax in narrow low corridors, spear is always a better choice.

Remove ads