• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can the GM cheat?

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
The word "must" makes the statement a railroad.

If you chose to play that adventure, then its not a railroad. The focus of my thought was the fact that it was a dragon. Thats the point I was trying to make, but I used a poor word. Replace it with "can" or "should".

What I'm tryin (poorly) to say is, if you desire to participate in an adventure, there will be some established facts that are not railroads, but just fixed plot points.

I know that if my GM told me that this was the case for the campaign, I'd certainly see that as a railroad. The plot has been chosen, and now I must follow this course of action. It's not "there's a bad dragon, and there are consequences; how do you respond?" It's "and you respond by defeat the dragon." And that's certainly a railroad in my book. Mind you, I'd probably buy-in if the GM told me that from the start; I recently started a brief campaign as a player with the up-front knowledge that I'd have to protect a single individual (NPC) with the other PCs, while we fought against the emperor. I'm okay being railroaded, as long as I buy into it. But, it's definitely a railroad.

I agree with this to a large extent. I just consider "you must fight the dragon" as a required course of action to be part of that. As always, play what you like :)

I think you've loaded the scenario with some stipulations that are not inherent. In this case "fight". You can "deal with the dragon problem" in whatever way you see fit and the ensuing game can be about that. Or you can "not deal with the dragon problem" to your greater peril and the ensuing game can be about that and the inevitable repercussions. Nonetheless, when "very bad stuff will happen generally" and perhaps "stuff charged with specific material relevant to the backstory which you have devised" is the situation presented by the GM, presumably, if the game is to have any predictive quantity and coherency, you will be provoked to one degree or another and respond in a myriad of ways in line with that provocation.

Further, if such a case is a railroad (which I disagree with that depiction), then I'm not sure I understand how you assimilate PC backstory information and make offers that reliably hook your players nor do I understand how you create situations/adversity that reliably provoke them.

I have a Paladin/Hospitaler Theme/Demon-Slayer Paragon Path/Legendary Sovereign Epic Destiny whose background was defined by the inheritance a place in a demonic cult from his parents, being slain by the cult and resurrected as a Revenant, fleeing his homeland and becoming part of an order of Knight Hospitalers and fighting for a God of Justice, Protection and Sacrifice and having the following three Distinctions as core internal motivations:

- "I let the scourge into my homeland...I will drive it out."

- "The sick, the sullied and the down-trodden shall not carry their burden alone. I will take on their miseries and protect them from the vile inequities of the world."

- "Station is a vessel for the advancement of justice, benevolence, and mercy. It is manifest destiny that a man of honor who understands this will rule."

Is it "railroading" if I put him in situations that directly challenge those 3 things; eg Sanitariums with the afflicted being exploited by the demonic scourge, the power behind the throne of his homeland being an Abyssal Lord? It seems that by your estimation it would be as those challenges, referenced by those PC build elements and backstory elements, should have predictive value...in this case engagement by the Paladin player.

If true, is the only "non-railroad" a game that has no breadth or focus of PC backstory or has no GM-offered material specifically meant to challenge those player cues?

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
I think you've loaded the scenario with some stipulations that are not inherent. In this case "fight". You can "deal with the dragon problem" in whatever way you see fit and the ensuing game can be about that.
The example that was used in this thread, and your reaction, was as follows:
timASW said:
Bottomline; its not a railroad to say, the evil dragon is trying to take over the globe and you must stop him....
The word "must" makes the statement a railroad.
I don't think that is correct.
So, I'll just say I disagree that I've loaded the scenario with some stipulations that are not inherent, and thus the rest of your post in regards to my own. As always, play what you like :)

pemerton

Legend
Thats like saying everything in Eberron is a railroad because the book for it has maps, NPC's and city descriptions. Its absurd. Players dont need authorship in the Geography of the campaign world or the major NPCS's who live in it.
Says who? There are whole RPGs, after all, built around the assumption that the players will have authorship of the geography of the campaign world and/or of the major NPCs who live in it - Burning Wheel is one well-known example.

My own approach is something of a middle path - I told my players that I wanted to run a core 4e game; they built PCs which related to various pre-authored story elements, like the Raven Queen, and the dwarves who freed themselves from the giants, and Corellon and the Feywild; and they also authored some important elements of the campaign, like secret societies, and dwarven culture, and towns destroyed by humanoids. And when I have framed scenes for them, the backstory I have drawn is the backstory that they chose to make relevant in the game. So, for instance, in my game Avandra, for practical purposes, barely exists as a god - perhaps her name has been mentioned once or twice during play. Whereas the Raven Queen - who is worshipped and served by three of the PCs - comes up multiple times in every session.

I believe I understand your point, predetermined locations, predetermined foes, etc. But that would mean any advanture with any background info on who done it, could be considered a railroad.

<snip>

Or should I change the foe to an aboleth based on the PCs interest, and if I don't would keeping it as the dragon be railroading. I would think not, but this is an honest question searching for understanding of your views.
My own approach would certainly be to change the dragon to an aboleth, based on player interest as expressed via metagame talk plus PC background and play at the table.

When I use modules, I use particular encounter areas or vignettes rather than the whole module from go to woe, and I either choose a module whose theme and story elements fit what my players are interested in, or I revise and repurpose what is there.

Your comment about "any adventure with background info on who done it could be considered a railroad" is interesting. As I think I mentioned upthread, my preferred approach makes mystery gaming hard - because I am constantly toying with backstory and its realisation in play to respond to the expressed interests of the players, and to maintain pressure on the things they care about. Whereas a traditional mystery RPG more-or-less presupposes a stable backstory.

They can still go away and do other things, they have full freedom of choice.

<snip>

So say for instance they want to go pirate hunting instead with their ship, or be pirates. Either way. So what? Throw a quick session of pirate based fun at them and then when they come back to claim their rewards or sell their loot you let them know whats happened in the meantime and see if they want to check it out and get back on the AP.
What is striking to me about this is that "freedom of choice" is being expressed purely in ingame terms - the PCs can go where they like - but has no metagame meaning, because what the PCs will encounter is being decided by the GM based, presumably, on some pre-given background. And then when the PCs "come back" the situation they encounter has also been pre-determined by the GM based on a pre-given timeline.

For me that is not really a player driven game. It's a predominantly GM-driven one.

You can "deal with the dragon problem" in whatever way you see fit and the ensuing game can be about that. Or you can "not deal with the dragon problem" to your greater peril and the ensuing game can be about that and the inevitable repercussions.
For me, I want to know where the "dragon problem" came from.

If the player have built dragon-slayer PCs, or paladins of Bahamut, etc, then I would think that evil dragon tyrants are fair game (like undead and Orcus to my Raven Queen-focused players). Or if everyone agrees that the dragon tyrant game sounds like fun, then that is not a railroad. (One variant of this - the "Burning THACO" approach - involves the GM going through his/her stack of old D&D modules, reading out the back blurbs and the intro blurbs to everyone until they agree on one that looks like fun, and then having everyone build PCs with Beliefs, Relationships etc tailored to that module.)

If the players just turn up and get told by the GM, "OK, this game is going to be about the dragon tyrant and your potential struggle with it - otherwise sorry, we haven't got a game" then I personally think that's closer to a railorad.

If you chose to play that adventure, then its not a railroad.
For me that's not enough. I mean, if my friend wanted to run an AP and I though I could have fun dicing and talking my way through it, I might sign up even though I know in advance it's going to be a railroad.

The thing I'm interested in is not whether the players choose to participate in the game. It's who gets to author the dominant story elements, and determine the plot, of the game. Hence I'm not especially attracted to the traditional sandbox either, because it is still the GM who determines the bulk of the story elements, and the significance they have within the fiction.

According to him.. but thats crap. If the players are asking about every way conceivable to destroy the thing from outside rather then going into it its because they dont want to go in it. If they did they would have just walked up to the door and gone in without all the hallabaloo about destroying the tower.

<snip>

I dont ever remember seeing a railroading GM say "my players hate when I railroad but I do it anyway". Thats just not how it works. The railroader convinces himself that its better for everyone as an excuse for his poor behavior. You have to talk to the actual players in that game to see what they really think about this.
As [MENTION=6668292]JamesonCourage[/MENTION] noted upthread, [MENTION=5143]Majoru Oakheart[/MENTION]'s players didn't ask about every conceivable way to destroy the thing from outside.

As far as whether or not Majoru Oakheart is misdescribing his own game, I trust him more than you as a witness of what is happening at his table.

For me, I want to know where the "dragon problem" came from.

If the player have built dragon-slayer PCs, or paladins of Bahamut, etc, then I would think that evil dragon tyrants are fair game (like undead and Orcus to my Raven Queen-focused players). Or if everyone agrees that the dragon tyrant game sounds like fun, then that is not a railroad. (One variant of this - the "Burning THACO" approach - involves the GM going through his/her stack of old D&D modules, reading out the back blurbs and the intro blurbs to everyone until they agree on one that looks like fun, and then having everyone build PCs with Beliefs, Relationships etc tailored to that module.)

If the players just turn up and get told by the GM, "OK, this game is going to be about the dragon tyrant and your potential struggle with it - otherwise sorry, we haven't got a game" then I personally think that's closer to a railorad.

If that is the case (eg - the players have no input on the content that will be dealing with before the game begins), then I would definitely agree that its "closer to a railroad". I think I'm inclined to go with "something akin to a railroad". But my definition of railroad is associated with in-game techniques and the effect on play; the subversion of meaning of player choice and action resolution and the utter enforcement of metaplot upon play. I've seen that happen while the game's pre-established content is tailored to player cues so the two phenomenon can be mutually exclusive. In a one-off step on up game, you can run a short, challenging adventure (with shallow PC build tools and no PC backstory to go on) where folks just show up with Bobfighter001 etc and just tackle the challenges. There you can have fully legitimized player choice and action resolution that has meaning, affects micro-outcomes and perturbs the macro-outcome wildly (such that all roads don't lead to Rome). I'm not sure I'd call that a railroad. Something else I think.

A long-term campaign with no player input on the pre-establishment of the ensuing content should have a term applied to it for ease of communication. I'm just not sure railroad is it.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
My own approach would certainly be to change the dragon to an aboleth, based on player interest as expressed via metagame talk plus PC background and play at the table.

When I use modules, I use particular encounter areas or vignettes rather than the whole module from go to woe, and I either choose a module whose theme and story elements fit what my players are interested in, or I revise and repurpose what is there.

I do the same. I think we might be closer in style than I thought.

When I change the dragon to the aboleth, it can be based on player input, prior to the campaign starting (for the most part*).

Once they have given their inputs, I dont railroad them along a story, but the framework of who, what, why, etc stays the same. They interact as they see fit. Or not.

And the world adapts based on their actions and results. I have an entire desert lost to chaos in my world because of characters interactions. I didn't (and didn't want to) railroad that result. They chose not to "block" this from happening (short version).

* on occasion since my players are smarter than me, they come up with a logical connection in a plot or series of events I didn't think of ahead of time, so I incorporate that.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
What is striking to me about this is that "freedom of choice" is being expressed purely in ingame terms - the PCs can go where they like - but has no metagame meaning, because what the PCs will encounter is being decided by the GM based, presumably, on some pre-given background. And then when the PCs "come back" the situation they encounter has also been pre-determined by the GM based on a pre-given timeline.

For me that is not really a player driven game. It's a predominantly GM-driven one.

I had an epiphany (I hope).

Players or Characters!

Players modify my campaign world all the time. Things change based on input, "geographies" get modified etc, they choose the plot ahead of time. So its a very player driven game.

Characters can only affect stuff within the framework. They deal with the plot. (and their actions have consequence and benefit)

I know there are systems that don't "divide" agency like that, but at least I have a glimmering of why some of us disagree.

Neat

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
According to him.. but thats crap.

Saying, "I know what his players want better than he does, even though I have never met them, and certainly not ever played the game with them," is pretty darned arrogant.

When you've gotten the Amazing Randi's million-dollar prize for proving you can read the minds of people you don't know, then maybe you can make such assertions. Otherwise, you really ought to back off on claiming knowledge of others you don't really have.

Remove ads