Can you name a good fantasy TTRPG that's not D&D?

StreamMonk

Villager
The Fantasy Trip: In the Labyrinth, RuneQuest, DragonQuest, Jaws of the Six Serpents, Blades & Black Magic, Eyes beyond the Torchlight, Worlds without Number, Scarlet Heroes, and Iron Gauntlets all spring to mind.

Hex08

Adventurer
A lot of these have already been given as possibilities but my suggestions are:
Pathfinder (I only play 1E so can't speak to the current edition)
Castles & Crusades
Savage Worlds
Blades in the Dark (I've only read the rules and not actually played it but it seems really cool)
Band of Blades (as Blades in the Dark, I have only read the rules)

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
I'll list the ones I have working with recently:

Shadow of the Demon Lord
Talisman
Pathfinder 2

South by Southwest

Incorrigible Daydreamer
I don't know if the company still exists, but back in the day there was this company called Iron Crown Entertainment. They had a pretty good fantasy RPG. I think it was called "Rollmaster" or something like that.

pemerton

Legend
I don't know if the company still exists, but back in the day there was this company called Iron Crown Entertainment. They had a pretty good fantasy RPG. I think it was called "Rollmaster" or something like that.
I assume this is meant to be ironic?

But as it happens, Iron Crown Enterprises is anticipating the release of its latest version of Rolemaster (RMU, with the "U" being for "unified"). I think it should be later this year.

Scottius

Explorer
No, I honestly haven't kept up with them at all since 1989.

So they're still in business--that's good. I'd need to read up on them to see what the system looks like these days. Way back when, their stat-rolling system had a heckuva spread to it.
I still have my Rolemaster books, 2nd edition I believe... Sadly I lost my copy years ago of MERP, the Middle Earth version of the Rolemaster system.

dbm

Adventurer
I still have my Rolemaster books, 2nd edition I believe... Sadly I lost my copy years ago of MERP, the Middle Earth version of the Rolemaster system.
Another long time RoleMaster fan, here! There is also HARP, which is kind-of RM-lite in many ways.

FF9E3C57-3CAA-410C-9E16-13AA3B4C3242.jpeg

RMU seemed to have dropped into development-hell? Not seen anything on that for quite some time?

pemerton

Legend
Another long time RoleMaster fan, here! There is also HARP, which is kind-of RM-lite in many ways.
I've got a shelf a lot like that one! I played RM as my main game from 1990 to the end of 2008, though not since. I have most of those HARP books but never actually played it - these days Burning Wheel is my favourite FRPG, and for me it does most of what I would look to HARP for.

RMU seemed to have dropped into development-hell? Not seen anything on that for quite some time?
Do you get the regular ICE briefings? This is from the April 2002 one:

The artwork for RMU Treasure Law continues to arrive at pace. Colin is organising the artwork for the first volume of RMU Creature Law.

Our first wave of experiments were successful, so Nick has now embarked on the first layout pass on RMU Arms and Character Law. The layout phase has begun.​

And in the January 2022 briefing, Nicholas said "Expect 2022 to be the year when we publish RMU." So I think it is happening.

Committed Hero

Explorer
I'm surprised I haven't seen any mention of 13th Age. Is that because it's too similar to D&D for people to consider it, or is it just not that popular? I've personally been wanting to try it out with my group as a possible replacement for 5e because I like a lot of the differences. I think the feats and the One Unique Thing make it easier to make PCs more customizable.
I came here to say 13th Age but will leave having said Dungeon World and Swords of the Serpentine.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Monster Care Squad by Sandy Pug Games. You play a crack team of healers who wander the world healing giant, magical, creatures of a disease that has caused them to turn feral and attack communities that they had previously lived in harmony with. It's a great premise and the book is beautiful. I haven't had a chance to play it yet, but can't wait to get it to the table.

Just staying away from D&D derivatives there's Mythras, its distant cousin Sabre Fantasy, the Conan 2D20 game, Fantasy Hero and probably a good dozen more I just can't think of off the top of my head.

I'm surprised I haven't seen any mention of 13th Age. Is that because it's too similar to D&D for people to consider it, or is it just not that popular? I've personally been wanting to try it out with my group as a possible replacement for 5e because I like a lot of the differences. I think the feats and the One Unique Thing make it easier to make PCs more customizable.

As far as combat goes, the Escalation Die and damage on missing an attack roll seem like nifty innovations to keep combat from bogging down. Plus, distance is abstracted (engaged, nearby, far away) so it isn't dependent on maps and minis.

Also, from a GM perspective, I like the monster stat blocks a whole lot more as they look much easier to run. Magic using NPCs don't require you to flip back and forth between their entry in the bestiary and the spells section.

Only reason its not on my list is I was staying away from D&D derivatives (same for PF2e and Shadow of the Demon Lord).

Dungeon Delver's Guide

An Advertisement

Advertisement4